The Student Room Group

Is dentistry still a good profession

I have heard that the income of dentists is decreasing and therefore it is becoming harder for dentists to pay off debt. I would really like to become a dentist but I come from a poor background and don't want to pay a lot of money to selfishly study something that isn't going to benefit me and my family in the long run, financially. I have heard many people just talk down on how dental school and uni doesn't prepare you for real life working as a dentist, etc.
Is being a dentist still a stable, secure and good profession to select? Is it worth it? Because I am working my butt off right now and I would like to hope that it is paying off ..

I apologise if I sound naive, I have little help atm with my career path and most of my knowledge is research from online, which isn't always reliable due to the heavily opinionated tone of what I have so far aquired
Reply 1
Original post by emaya1
I have heard that the income of dentists is decreasing and therefore it is becoming harder for dentists to pay off debt. I would really like to become a dentist but I come from a poor background and don't want to pay a lot of money to selfishly study something that isn't going to benefit me and my family in the long run, financially. I have heard many people just talk down on how dental school and uni doesn't prepare you for real life working as a dentist, etc.
Is being a dentist still a stable, secure and good profession to select? Is it worth it? Because I am working my butt off right now and I would like to hope that it is paying off ..

I apologise if I sound naive, I have little help atm with my career path and most of my knowledge is research from online, which isn't always reliable due to the heavily opinionated tone of what I have so far aquired

Check your inbox
Original post by DrTSR
Check your inbox

please answer this question for me too as im still in this dilemma loooool
All jobs are going to change through time. No way will AI replace dentists as people would be too nervous to allow machines anywhere near their mouths so it will still be a career for life I'd imagine.

Quick Reply

Latest