Car Insurance - new driver Watch

NathanWh0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've been looking alot at different cars and their quotes on compare the market. Why do so many people buy a 1.0 micra or old corsa when i'm getting quoted a small bit more to get a same priced car but upgrade to a newer ish bigger engine with somewhat similar mpg?

eg; i'm getting quoted £2,150 for a 1.0L micra 2001(£800), yet i checked a 1.6 renault megane 2007(£800) and even a few other cars and i'm getting quoted £2,295. the only major difference being compulsory is £300 higher.
1Secord
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It could be due to the engine size and the insurance group the car is in. This can increase how much you have to pay for car insurance. Cars in group 1 are cheaper to insure than cars in group 10.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Age and value and stuff matter too. But tbh an extra hundred plus an extra 300 with an accident is still significant
LTEcactus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 1Secord)
It could be due to the engine size and the insurance group the car is in. This can increase how much you have to pay for car insurance. Cars in group 1 are cheaper to insure than cars in group 10.
Not necessarily, it depends on the car, how new it is, and how many people have crashed it before etc.

A Toyota in a higher insurance might be cheaper than something like a Ford KA, because Toyota's are deemed less risky than a Ford because less young people own them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads