The Student Room Group

Is it even possible to get a job in the UK as EU citizen??

Hey guys!

I am finishing my master's degree this summer and unfortunately, I am not very lucky when looking for a job. I have quite good research experience (I had several research voluntary placements at the uni) also I was volunteering in charity as a youth support worker for many years, assistant psychologist (back in my country) but it seems it is not really enough for job providers. Also, I got my CV checked many times.
I have a psychology degree and msc in research. I was trying to get a placement as a research fellow or assistant psychologist ... I got one interview for research fellow position but I screwed up. For AP positions I am always rejected.

How hard is it to get a job here if I am not UK citizen (but EU)?? Do you think I am in a disadvantage as EU citizen? Were you successful? How long it took you to get a full-time job in your field? Any advice, please?? I don't feel like coming back to my country yet :frown:
I dont think you being non-British is the killer here as much as your lack of actual work with references in your field. The work you have done at home can be not even looked at by many, as it cant be checked if real to begin with. What you said, shows you re keen to work , but employers also look for the ability to do the job, not just being hard working. Another point would be, well... the general perception of fresh graduates, which is they lack discipline, work ethics and etc. I had a friend who worked 6 months for free in an IT company in order to gain the experience and find a job in his field, but the only thing that can I suggest is you keep on trying and maybe let someone check your CV.
(edited 4 years ago)
Getting a career within psychology is tough.
Being an EU citizen is not really a worry at all, especially as we remain in the EU, and after being fully covered by settled and presettled status, no experience in the field, but don't see a reason for you to be at a disadvantage at all, compared to the competition that exists for the field :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending