The Student Room Group

Should I drop Psychology?

I'm a year into my A Levels studying Maths, Further Maths, History and Psychology. I took maths this year (year 12) so I only have the other 3 left. My aim is to go to Oxford to study Maths. I know that offers are made based on 3 A Levels and I need A*s in Maths and FM. I really hate psychology and would be a lot less stressed if I drop it (I get bad exam stress). It would also mean I could dedicate more time to getting the A* in FM which I need. However, I'm doing well in Psychology. I got A* in my end of year exams and overall I'm predicted 4A*s. It would seem a shame to only do 3 A levels when I'm capable of 4. I've heard that theres no advantage where Oxford are concerned to having a 4th A level, but does anyone know this? Has anyone been given an offer when they took 3? Any general advice? Many thanks
Original post by IzStevens
I'm a year into my A Levels studying Maths, Further Maths, History and Psychology. I took maths this year (year 12) so I only have the other 3 left. My aim is to go to Oxford to study Maths. I know that offers are made based on 3 A Levels and I need A*s in Maths and FM. I really hate psychology and would be a lot less stressed if I drop it (I get bad exam stress). It would also mean I could dedicate more time to getting the A* in FM which I need. However, I'm doing well in Psychology. I got A* in my end of year exams and overall I'm predicted 4A*s. It would seem a shame to only do 3 A levels when I'm capable of 4. I've heard that theres no advantage where Oxford are concerned to having a 4th A level, but does anyone know this? Has anyone been given an offer when they took 3? Any general advice? Many thanks

There's literally no advantage in doing more than 3 A levels. That said, I think universities usually require applicants to do 3 A levels at the same time. If you've already got A level Maths and then only do FM and History then that might be tricky as you wouldn't be doing 3 simultaneously anymore. I'm not too certain, however, and I'm conscious that various universities have differing policies.

I'd strongly encourage you to email the universities you're most interested in going to and asking them directly.
Original post by IzStevens

Normally I would advise people to drop a 4th A level if they hate it, but it seems a shame to do so since you are predicted an A.* There definitely will be many people who have got into Oxford with only 3 A levels, but then again it may offer you some small advantage, I'm not sure. To be honest, I think you are better off asking this question to Oxford directly - you could give their Admissions a call today and see what advice they give you.
Reply 3
For the maths courses they have all said they take maths done in year 12 so that wasnt my concern. I asked at the oxford open day yesterday and they said it's not necessary or advantageous to have more than 3 but that it's my last chance to do some wider study and they wouldnt want me dropping it just to meet uni requirements. But I'd be more doing it for stress related reasons and because I dont like it. Thanks for the advice
Original post by Quick-use
There's literally no advantage in doing more than 3 A levels. That said, I think universities usually require applicants to do 3 A levels at the same time. If you've already got A level Maths and then only do FM and History then that might be tricky as you wouldn't be doing 3 simultaneously anymore. I'm not too certain, however, and I'm conscious that various universities have differing policies.

I'd strongly encourage you to email the universities you're most interested in going to and asking them directly.
Since you have already spoken to Oxford about it and they have confirmed it won't affect your application in any way, I think on balance you should drop it for the stress reasons you mentioned
Reply 5
Thank you for your advice :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
Since you have already spoken to Oxford about it and they have confirmed it won't affect your application in any way, I think on balance you should drop it for the stress reasons you mentioned

Quick Reply

Latest