MSc application - low grades early years but 1st class degree Watch

cmcgcmcg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello all,

I am considering applying for an MSc in a data science related subject at a top university in the UK. The department this is registered under is mathematics.

My undergraduate degree is robotics, specializing in AI in my final year. I achieved a First Class Honours but I am worried about my first two year's grades. I barely studied in those years because they do not contribute to your final grade. As a result, I have some Cs and Ds in critical subjects like mathematics.

Now, I'm actually okay at mathematics having gotten mostly As in third year and straight As in fourth year with a few of those subjects containing advanced calculus, despite not explicitly stating it's a math subject.

My question is: Will the university care about these low grades in the early years?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cmcgcmcg)
Hello all,

I am considering applying for an MSc in a data science related subject at a top university in the UK. The department this is registered under is mathematics.

My undergraduate degree is robotics, specializing in AI in my final year. I achieved a First Class Honours but I am worried about my first two year's grades. I barely studied in those years because they do not contribute to your final grade. As a result, I have some Cs and Ds in critical subjects like mathematics.

Now, I'm actually okay at mathematics having gotten mostly As in third year and straight As in fourth year with a few of those subjects containing advanced calculus, despite not explicitly stating it's a math subject.

My question is: Will the university care about these low grades in the early years?
Depends how competitive. I would say yes, so best talk to admissions. They may query why you could slack 2 years and just turn it on for the third.
|hey will see your transcript. Talk to them. Might be fine and might not.
cmcgcmcg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Depends how competitive. I would say yes, so best talk to admissions. They may query why you could slack 2 years and just turn it on for the third.
|hey will see your transcript. Talk to them. Might be fine and might not.
Thanks for the reply. I turned it on for the third and fourth year because they are the only years that count towards degree classification (Scottish university rules). I'm guessing it would be strange to write that in a personal statement, though.
Last edited by cmcgcmcg; 2 weeks ago
OddOnes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd say it didn't affect me when applying for MSc but I only had poor grades in first year and all 2.1s in second. I think they'll probably overlook it but may question you. Unlikely though.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cmcgcmcg)
Thanks for the reply. I turned it on for the third and fourth year because they are the only years that count towards degree classification (Scottish university rules). I'm guessing it would be strange to write that in a personal statement, though.
Scottish is better as two years improvement. I would just ask them but they will see a full transcript anyway and make their own mind up. Only they matter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby