dxbbiex
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I picked Economics, Computer science, product design, core maths and the EPQ for A levels. Do you think this are good choices for someone who would want to do computing/engineering/business/marketing in uni. I'm not really sure as to which one yet.
I've been looking at Leeds, KCL, Bath, Liverpool and Nottingham in terms of universities.
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are you most likely to study at uni? 4 A-levels plus an EPQ is an incredible stretch, so I would really advise dropping something based on what you want to study later on.
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
(Original post by barror1)
What are you most likely to study at uni? 4 A-levels plus an EPQ is an incredible stretch, so I would really advise dropping something based on what you want to study later on.
I really don't know I think i'm most likely to study something like computer science with management/finance. And core maths is only half an A level so I'd say including the EPQ its almost like doing 4 A Levels.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dxbbiex)
Hi
I picked Economics, Computer science, product design, core maths and the EPQ for A levels. Do you think this are good choices for someone who would want to do computing/engineering/business/marketing in uni. I'm not really sure as to which one yet.
I've been looking at Leeds, KCL, Bath, Liverpool and Nottingham in terms of universities.
You've definitely ruled out engineering there without taking maths or physics (core maths is real world maths like finances and stuff, so they will not accept that as its useless for an engineering course).

But for your other uni options, those are good choices
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
You've definitely ruled out engineering there without taking maths or physics (core maths is real world maths like finances and stuff, so they will not accept that as its useless for an engineering course).

But for your other uni options, those are good choices
Oh okay, that's not so bad, engineering would be the least likely anyways. Do you think not taking maths or physics would affect anything else?
barror1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh okay, that's not so bad, engineering would be the least likely anyways. Do you think not taking maths or physics would affect anything else?
Maths is usually a heavy part of computing and tends to be an entry requirement, so some universities may choose to reject you if you only do core (imo).
Psychics only seems to be affecting engineering though
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Computing at many "good" unis (russel group etc) will want maths too, but not all unis do.
The rest is fine without it
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
Computing at many "good" unis (russel group etc) will want maths too, but not all unis do.
The rest is fine without it
Maths is usually a heavy part of computing and tends to be an entry requirement, so some universities may choose to reject you if you only do core (imo).
Psychics only seems to be affecting engineering though
Is it worth taking maths if i don't think I can get a high grade in it? I'd rather do something and get an A than do maths and get a C. I'm heavily considering swapping economics for maths.
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
Or i was thinking of getting rid of core maths and doing maths A-level in addition (not sure if I should get rid of the EPQ)
barror1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it worth taking maths if i don't think I can get a high grade in it? I'd rather do something and get an A than do maths and get a C. I'm heavily considering swapping economics for maths.
If you are considering swapping, why not trade out either core maths or product design? Economics is worth keeping if you are considering business management at uni
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
If you are considering swapping, why not trade out either core maths or product design? Economics is worth keeping if you are considering business management at uni
I think I'll swap out core maths, would you recommend keeping the EPQ if i were to do that?
barror1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think I'll swap out core maths, would you recommend keeping the EPQ if i were to do that?
It really depends how heavy a workload you can cope with, though I would personally go against the idea.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not really that heavy of a workload honestly. 4 A levels EPQ isn't that much different to just 4 A levels, since EPQ is very little effort (despite what people will tell you, I put under an hour a week over 6 months into mine and dropped exactly one mark in the end)

So yes, you might as well keep the EPQ
Last edited by MagnumKoishi; 1 year ago
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
Okay thanks guys! After results day hopefully I'll make a good informed decision.
zahmed27
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For computing or engineering I’d say do A level Maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed