Emotional Support Animal at uni Watch

Kazzahan43
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi. I have complex mental health needs and think I will need an ESA at uni to help me stay healthy. If like to be in haha as this will also be best for my needs. Any advice? Thx
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ok, it is hard to do but can be possible. You also need to weigh up the pros and cons, not just for you but the animal. I'm going to assume it will be a dog as they tend to be ESAs. First of all do you already have the pet? If not then it would probably be a bad idea as training a young dog takes a lot of time and it will take a while for it to help you. You also need to consider the university and where you will live. Most accommodations have allowances for registered service dogs such as guide dogs but because ESAs aren't recognised in England then its incredibly unlikely it will be allowed in student halls meaning you will have to find somewhere private. This may isolate you as you will probably be on your own and not as close to the university. Also what about the animal? If it is a young pup it may not cope with sitting in lectures silently for an hour or two, that is if you are allowed it in lectures. Animals are really intelligent and playful and will get bored easily. If you are told you aren't allowed to bring it into class then it would be stuck in your flat all day which is just cruel.

If you already have an ESA who is trained then contact the university you want to go to and seek advice from them. If you don't I strongly advise you don't go and buy a pet just so it can help you. As good as ESAs can be its really important to consider the pets wellbeing as well and it would be unfair to not give it the best quality of life. Pets are expensive and student loans don't exactly cover pet insurance and vet bills! Look into other support you can get such as counselling through your university,disabled students allowence, pet therapy etc. These may be better options
Kazzahan43
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thx. I was thinking of a small animal like a hamster or a rat to have in my halls. It's be to help me regulate my anxiety when I'm not in uni buildings. Like you say it might be
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kazzahan43)
Thx. I was thinking of a small animal like a hamster or a rat to have in my halls. It's be to help me regulate my anxiety when I'm not in uni buildings. Like you say it might be
I understand how a small animal may help, I have BPD and PTSD and get how animals help. You can try emailing the housing team at your uni and ask but I am sure the answer will be no. The main worry would be other students as people may be allergic or scared so it wouldn't be fair on them. I hope you find a solution that works well for you
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
University owned accommodation does not tend to allow pets unless it is a guide dog. You may have better luck in private accommodation, but then not guaranteed
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (153)
17.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.74%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
58.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (124)
14.45%

Watched Threads