Hospitality Management or Marketing at Uni.

Watch
15jwilliams
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello. I want to go down the hospitality/brand management career path and am having difficulties on choosing a uni course. To me Hospitality management not only sounds more fun, but also ties stronger with were I want to go. Marketing however will be a fundamental part of my chosen career, and also to an extent is more facilitating to other career options later down the line. My other concern is that hospitality may lead me only to concierge or waiter, and I aim to be a hotel manager etc. What is better for this sort of career? Thanks.
maramon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to be a hotel manager, you have to have been a waiter at some point. Hospitality world if all about experience and credibility - it helps when you get hired, when you work with people and want respect, but most importantly it helps in understanding how it all works. If you don't understand your team (the waiters, the front desk clerks) they won't listen to you or respect you and you are unlikely to progress in a career.
If you are looking for a hospitality marketing role - then a brand and marketing study is likely to be more suitable. But ofc you can still start in hospitality with this degree and rise through the ranks, a hosp degree is just going to help you with the kick off to begin with.

Where are you looking to study?
15jwilliams
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im looking at Surrey or Essex. And you are exactly right with doing a hospitality degree, only being a start, however I want to do something that I enjoy more, and there are sides to marketing, for example finance, that I wouldn't enjoy as much. If i'm correct many compulsory modules in Hospitality Management include marketing and business management and practise anyway, so I presume I shouldn't be too bad off?
(Original post by maramon)
If you want to be a hotel manager, you have to have been a waiter at some point. Hospitality world if all about experience and credibility - it helps when you get hired, when you work with people and want respect, but most importantly it helps in understanding how it all works. If you don't understand your team (the waiters, the front desk clerks) they won't listen to you or respect you and you are unlikely to progress in a career.
If you are looking for a hospitality marketing role - then a brand and marketing study is likely to be more suitable. But ofc you can still start in hospitality with this degree and rise through the ranks, a hosp degree is just going to help you with the kick off to begin with.

Where are you looking to study?
maramon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hospitality degree should definitely have marketing and business courses, but they will have a hotel lense on them ofc. There will be finance, that cannot be avoided and is very important. You have to understand your Revenue, your P&L etc if you want to be successful, but again the course on that will be hotel specific for you. So you may find that easier to learn.
I heard Oxford has a good hosp degree, but ofc depends on if you want/can go there.
Depending on the school, you may be able to take some extra courses in a few other things you're interested in as well.
(Original post by 15jwilliams)
Im looking at Surrey or Essex. And you are exactly right with doing a hospitality degree, only being a start, however I want to do something that I enjoy more, and there are sides to marketing, for example finance, that I wouldn't enjoy as much. If i'm correct many compulsory modules in Hospitality Management include marketing and business management and practise anyway, so I presume I shouldn't be too bad off?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads