deathray65
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am predicted a 44/45 in the IB, as follows, including bonus points:Literature HL- 7History HL- 7Business & Management HL- 7Biology SL- 7Spanish SL- 7Math SL- 6So my grades are quite good. I want to apply for Law at Cambridge, or Oxford (still deciding) as well as UCL, KCL, Nottingham and Warwick. To maximize my chances of Oxbridge admission, what sorts of supercurriculars would be valuable? I've gone to many MUN conferences and received honorable mentions. I'm an active member of my school's public speaking team, and have won silver and gold medals for individual speeches, out of 200+ participants. I also take part in slam poetry competitions, and have always placed in the top 3. In addition to this, I am the co-president of my school's Ted-ed club, and organise events annually which involve public speaking, and also partner with refugee schools. I'm also active in our film-making team and take part in film competitions. I've also done work experience at an engineering company- but this was short, and only for one summer.I don't know if any of this is actually related to law, though. The only directly law-related task I have is the work experience. Everything else is related to writing or public-speaking somehow. Are these activities good enough? What else would have been better?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi deathray65

What you have done so far sounds very impressive to me. The MUN competitions will look great on your PS. My son is studying at Oxford and shares a set with a third year law student. He was really keen on MUN, and even took part in the interviewing for it (I'm not sure whether he was interviewing students or helpers).

You are not expected to have experience in a law firm for Oxford or anywhere else. My uncle was a partner in a law firm, and he stopped taking on students because of confidentiality. At first they came to work shadow him. He was sending them out of the room when the discussion became too confidential. In the end the students were more often out of the room than in it.

In the UK, when you are 14 you can go along to court cases and watch from the public gallery. Are you from the UK? If not, I'm not sure whether you can do this in the country where you live, but if you can it's definitely worthwhile.

On another note, have you done any reading? I don't mean massive legal tomes (you're not expected to know anything about law itself) but this

Reading suggestions and interview questions

http://www.oxfordinterviewquestions.com/questions/law/

and chew over these sample interview questions

https://sites.google.com/site/oxbrid...wquestions/law
(Original post by deathray65)
I am predicted a 44/45 in the IB, as follows, including bonus points:Literature HL- 7History HL- 7Business & Management HL- 7Biology SL- 7Spanish SL- 7Math SL- 6So my grades are quite good. I want to apply for Law at Cambridge, or Oxford (still deciding) as well as UCL, KCL, Nottingham and Warwick. To maximize my chances of Oxbridge admission, what sorts of supercurriculars would be valuable? I've gone to many MUN conferences and received honorable mentions. I'm an active member of my school's public speaking team, and have won silver and gold medals for individual speeches, out of 200+ participants. I also take part in slam poetry competitions, and have always placed in the top 3. In addition to this, I am the co-president of my school's Ted-ed club, and organise events annually which involve public speaking, and also partner with refugee schools. I'm also active in our film-making team and take part in film competitions. I've also done work experience at an engineering company- but this was short, and only for one summer.I don't know if any of this is actually related to law, though. The only directly law-related task I have is the work experience. Everything else is related to writing or public-speaking somehow. Are these activities good enough? What else would have been better?
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hola deathray65,

This all sounds very good and your IB prediction is excellent and not just ‘quite good’ (!) Good luck in the LNAT - you should switch your focus to that in our view.

Good luck with your application.

Brasenose Admissions
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes the lnat is very important and is used to help determine who will get an interview and who will not.

Download some sample papers and start practicing under timed conditions.

You will have to work reasonably fast

I haves tried some of the papers myself, ( not the essay) and the questions were very interesting.

There are also lnat books and the lawyer portal tends to give useful advice
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
All the stuff you mention is of marginal value at best. Forget about doing anything else and concentrate on getting the 44 in the IB that you are predicted and doing well in the LNAT.
deathray65
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Estreth)
All the stuff you mention is of marginal value at best. Forget about doing anything else and concentrate on getting the 44 in the IB that you are predicted and doing well in the LNAT.
Are you saying that these extracurriculars won't really affect my prospects?
Estreth
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Getting high marks for the IB and the LNAT are the essentials, and will get your foot in the interview door (also depending on how others do in the LNAT as well).

But then the extra curriculars will come into their own. You have shown that you are not just concentrating on your school work and nothing else. You are engaging with your subject and showing an interest. It is these little things that make for a more interesting PS and interview. You will be viewed as a more rounded candidate. They may take one or two questions from your PS about your extra curriculars, but then you will need to answer the same questions as the other candidates (see below).

An important part of the law interview is your ability to reason. My son's friend, who is now in his 3rd year at Oxford law, says the interviews are really about logic. You will be given a passage of law, but it will be transposed down so that all the jargon is taken out (therefore anyone can tackle it, even if they have never studied law at all) and you will be asked questions about it.

Also you will be given a philosophical question, with two sides to the story. You will be asked to argue one side of the case, then the other.

But I certainly would not say the extra curriculars are a waste of time. Brasenose has not said that in their earlier post.

They are just gently guiding you towards the most important part of your application, which you now need to focus on. Everything else is just great.

Yes.
Estreth
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just to clarify the above comment. Model United Nations and all that stuff is useful to the limited extent that it might show that you are interested in your subject. But there are other ways of doing that, including most obviously simply reading. So having done MUN and the like does not confer an extra advantage over having read widely. So specifically for someone who does not actually like extra curricular activities but is an avid reader in their chosen subject, extra curricular activities are indeed a waste of time.

It is not useful to portray yourself as a 'well rounded' candidate because that is simply not important for Oxford admissions. No one is judging your character or your interests unconnected to your subject.

As to the content of interviews, you will certainly be asked to show your ability to reason carefully and systematically but this may not be in exactly the format suggested in the post above.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I found this description of the law interview on the thatoxfordgirl blog. It was written by someone who had got into Oxford for law.

Just wondering are you an Oxford law student?

If so you may be able to give some useful tips to op and to the rest of us
BrasenoseAdm
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just to clarify the above comment. Model United Nations and all that stuff is useful to the limited extent that it might show that you are interested in your subject. But there are other ways of doing that, including most obviously simply reading. So having done MUN and the like does not confer an extra advantage over having read widely. So specifically for someone who does not actually like extra curricular activities but is an avid reader in their chosen subject, extra curricular activities are indeed a waste of time.

It is not useful to portray yourself as a 'well rounded' candidate because that is simply not important for Oxford admissions. No one is judging your character or your interests unconnected to your subject.

As to the content of interviews, you will certainly be asked to show your ability to reason carefully and systematically but this may not be in exactly the format suggested in the post above.
Good clear advice.
Estreth
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I found this description of the law interview on the thatoxfordgirl blog. It was written by someone who had got into Oxford for law.

Just wondering are you an Oxford law student?

If so you may be able to give some useful tips to op and to the rest of us
It's a long time since I was an Oxford undergraduate. I'm on the other side of the conversations these days. If you look at my profile you'll find a lot of posts about law admissions.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola deathray65,
not sure why but the way Brasenose chose to addressee OP made me laugh :laugh:
BrasenoseAdm
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
not sure why but the way Brasenose chose to addressee OP made me laugh :laugh:
Hola mnot,

That's good of you to say.

Brasenose Admissions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads