Isnt SOAS a terrible uni? Watch

hotchocolate66
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The reputation has sunk lower than the Mariana Trench,the student recruitment has also fallen drastically with students either dropping out due to not liking the university or failing their courses.
The teaching quality is extremely mediocre and the student life is even worse.
The student union is occupied by rich kids pretending to be "leftists" or social justice warriors who just want to be different and seek attention And most of these are spanish speaking people who are the most radical ones.
The whole atmosphere is ruined by the horrible students who spread hatred and false information with their "activism"
People form cliques and wont even be nice or polite to those who aren't a part of their clique.
This uni has a number of sexual predators working in the staff but nothing ever happens to these people.
Did anyone really like this uni or its just me?
Secretariat123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What happened to you? Are you ok?
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
(Original post by Secretariat123)
What happened to you? Are you ok?
Had a terrible experience. Hence posted to see others opinions
Secretariat123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes and was asking to see if you would go into any more specifics, but seems you won't. Either way my experience was good, teaching was good, admin wise its rubbish but it helped me get in to do a PhD now. You have to be a certain type of person to love it, and it isn't for everyone i'd agree on that...
(Original post by hotchocolate66)
Had a terrible experience. Hence posted to see others opinions
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Yes and was asking to see if you would go into any more specifics, but seems you won't. Either way my experience was good, teaching was good, admin wise its rubbish but it helped me get in to do a PhD now. You have to be a certain type of person to love it, and it isn't for everyone i'd agree on that...
Specifics? I was harassed by the staff and tried complaining but they did nothing.
The awful student body. With rich kids occupying the place , acting as if they own it and faking being social justice providers when it was clear as day that they just want attention and fame.
And my course was mediocre.
Secretariat123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel the harassment by the staff deserves a lot more attention in the sense that if you're willing then I would speak to the police or something as they do take this seriously. I've been to three Unis now as a student and think many student bodies are like that. Its the basic principle that when people are given any form of power they feel they are more inclined than others. I don't think the social class of the students has much to do it, its just they like being in control. It is wrong, but such is life. And yeah fair enough re course, everyone has there own individual experiences with courses...
Specifics? I was harassed by the staff and tried complaining but they did nothing.
The awful student body. With rich kids occupying the place , acting as if they own it and faking being social justice providers when it was clear as day that they just want attention and fame.
And my course was mediocre.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
it's not that great a place and i think you have to be a certain type of student to enjoy it there. i didn't have a good time there, although no issues with harassment, that sounds pretty bad. but mainly for me the teaching on my course wasn't consistently decent, and the student body was just... not for me.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
I feel the harassment by the staff deserves a lot more attention in the sense that if you're willing then I would speak to the police or something as they do take this seriously. I've been to three Unis now as a student and think many student bodies are like that. Its the basic principle that when people are given any form of power they feel they are more inclined than others. I don't think the social class of the students has much to do it, its just they like being in control. It is wrong, but such is life. And yeah fair enough re course, everyone has there own individual experiences with courses...
As far as I know, these students have opera or symphony musicians or OBE as parents so dont you think they have a class? Plus these people don't even know anything but read biased reports on internet and go around creating a bad atmosphere within the university.

The harassment was coming from somebody doing the door/ID security and a professor. No amount of complaining helped.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
it's not that great a place and i think you have to be a certain type of student to enjoy it there. i didn't have a good time there, although no issues with harassment, that sounds pretty bad. but mainly for me the teaching on my course wasn't consistently decent, and the student body was just... not for me.
I guess if a person had no life goals and is insecure, wanting attention then it's a good place to be
Secretariat123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes they have a social class, but the reason i said that is because i have a friend who worked in the student union for a bit, and he is not like that at all. Its also because the positions in the Student Union as far as i remember are voted for by the students.

As far as I know, these students have opera or symphony musicians or OBE as parents so dont you think they have a class? Plus these people don't even know anything but read biased reports on internet and go around creating a bad atmosphere within the university.

The harassment was coming from somebody doing the door/ID security and a professor. No amount of complaining helped.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Yes they have a social class, but the reason i said that is because i have a friend who worked in the student union for a bit, and he is not like that at all. Its also because the positions in the Student Union as far as i remember are voted for by the students.
From what i saw this year, these sabb officers are friends with the cleaners and workers and those people advertised them heavily. So even if a student was not intending to vote for them, the people working in the refectory or as cleaners who make big claims about the candidates to get them the positions.
Like this uni is full of Latin American or Spanish cleaners/workers and ironically these candidates are also from the same regions
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
I guess if a person had no life goals and is insecure, wanting attention then it's a good place to be
this made me laugh. it's just, they're always protesting about something there aren't they? don't they get exhausted?
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
this made me laugh. it's just, they're always protesting about something there aren't they? don't they get exhausted?
They claim to be justice warriors but treat fellow peers who dont do as they like poorly. So much for justice.
NickB54
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You evidently have a number of grievances about SOAS, but it's unfair to generalise. I studied for an MA at SOAS and I had a great time and learned more than I have learned at any other time in my life. It was a brilliant experience.

I found the teaching quality to be absolutely excellent—better, in some instances, than the quality of teaching at Oxford (which is notoriously haphazard).

I don't know why you are seemingly surprised to find that SOAS has a reputation for left-wing student activism. Walking onto the SOAS campus can feel like stepping back into the 1960s! Most of these students are well meaning if perhaps sometimes a little naive. If they are standing up for the rights of people like cleaners and catering staff then good for them. They are doing something more worthwhile than most student activism aims to achieve. You are also somewhat naive if you are surprised to discover that the far left contains some decidedly unpleasant people. You only need to look at some of Jeremy Corbyn's colleagues and supporters to learn that some people on the far left are racists, misogynists, and bullies and apologists for dictators and terrorists. But this is a really a small minority of student activists. You could equally point to a scandal some years ago when members of the Oxford University Conservative Association were filmed singing a song that celebrated Nazi atrocities against the Jews. Or you could just think of the Bullingdon Club. I assume you would not condemn the entire University of Oxford because of at most a few dozen people.

If there is sexual harassment that is something that rightly needs to be stamped out. Up to what levels have you pursued this? If appropriate, you could report those responsible to the police. If necessary, take your complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education. Write to your MP, write to the Secretary of State, write to the Chancellor of the University of London. Do whatever it takes to have your complaint resolved adequately. Sadly, sexual harassment is something that happens in a lot of settings, including universities. That doesn't mean that it's any less awful when it happens, but SOAS is not unique in this respect. I was absolutely appalled to learn recently (this was reported by the ongoing Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse in its report on the English Benedictine Congregation case study) that St Benet's Hall, Oxford illegally employed convicted paedophile the Reverend Dr Bernard Green despite his being subject to an order banning him from contact with students aged under 19. Not entirely surprisingly, his abusive behaviour continued at Oxford.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by NickB54)
You evidently have a number of grievances about SOAS, but it's unfair to generalise. I studied for an MA at SOAS and I had a great time and learned more than I have learned at any other time in my life. It was a brilliant experience.

I found the teaching quality to be absolutely excellent—better, in some instances, than the quality of teaching at Oxford (which is notoriously haphazard).

I don't know why you are seemingly surprised to find that SOAS has a reputation for left-wing student activism. Walking onto the SOAS campus can feel like stepping back into the 1960s! Most of these students are well meaning if perhaps sometimes a little naive. If they are standing up for the rights of people like cleaners and catering staff then good for them. They are doing something more worthwhile than most student activism aims to achieve. You are also somewhat naive if you are surprised to discover that the far left contains some decidedly unpleasant people. You only need to look at some of Jeremy Corbyn's colleagues and supporters to learn that some people on the far left are racists, misogynists, and bullies and apologists for dictators and terrorists. But this is a really a small minority of student activists. You could equally point to a scandal some years ago when members of the Oxford University Conservative Association were filmed singing a song that celebrated Nazi atrocities against the Jews. Or you could just think of the Bullingdon Club. I assume you would not condemn the entire University of Oxford because of at most a few dozen people.

If there is sexual harassment that is something that rightly needs to be stamped out. Up to what levels have you pursued this? If appropriate, you could report those responsible to the police. If necessary, take your complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education. Write to your MP, write to the Secretary of State, write to the Chancellor of the University of London. Do whatever it takes to have your complaint resolved adequately. Sadly, sexual harassment is something that happens in a lot of settings, including universities. That doesn't mean that it's any less awful when it happens, but SOAS is not unique in this respect. I was absolutely appalled to learn recently (this was reported by the ongoing Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse in its report on the English Benedictine Congregation case study) that St Benet's Hall, Oxford illegally employed convicted paedophile the Reverend Dr Bernard Green despite his being subject to an order banning him from contact with students aged under 19. Not entirely surprisingly, his abusive behaviour continued at Oxford.
The teaching is good? Are you for real?
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?

This university supports Labour, a *****y party with horrid people like Corbyn
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?

I tried speaking to the student advisors in the student union as well as personal advisor but nothing came out.
3mmz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow hope your well OP and I am trying to transfer to SOAS
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3mmz)
Wow hope your well OP and I am trying to transfer to SOAS
Pls dont
YasudaSayo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
what course are you doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Are cats selfish

Yes (128)
60.66%
No (83)
39.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise