Tonsillitis and easing tonsillitis pain Watch

Shy_girl2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all.

I woke up on Tuesday with a temperature, headache, earache and a sore throat. By Wednesday it was worse to the point where my partner had to put a flannel on my head the Tuesday night as my temperature was so up and down. I went to the doctors and was told it was tonsillitis and was prescribed 250mg of Phenoxymethylpenicillin.

It’s now Friday evening and the pain is progressively getting worse. I’ve tried absolutely everything to soothe the pain so I could try eat. I’ve tried painkillers, garaging salt water, slowly sipping warm water, hot tea etc. I really need help as the pain is worse now and I need to eat and drink.

Any suggestions?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
chibibotto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try ice cream - it is cold which has a numbing effect so the pain should ease.

I had a really bad case of tonsillitis as a kid; I couldn't eat properly either as my tonsils had grown so big and I found it hard to breathe and sleep - it even made me snore! In the end they removed my tonsils but hopefully your medication will work and it won't come to having an operation 🤞

Ice cream really does help, at least temporarily. Plus, it's ice cream weather!

Hope you feel better soon 💓
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Shy_girl2000)
Hi all.

I woke up on Tuesday with a temperature, headache, earache and a sore throat. By Wednesday it was worse to the point where my partner had to put a flannel on my head the Tuesday night as my temperature was so up and down. I went to the doctors and was told it was tonsillitis and was prescribed 250mg of Phenoxymethylpenicillin.

It’s now Friday evening and the pain is progressively getting worse. I’ve tried absolutely everything to soothe the pain so I could try eat. I’ve tried painkillers, garaging salt water, slowly sipping warm water, hot tea etc. I really need help as the pain is worse now and I need to eat and drink.

Any suggestions?
Cold drinks and foods, cool packs on your neck, steam, honey, throat nummimg spray (ask at a pharmacy), try soft foods like.potato which don't require much effort to eat, but also aren't really sticky (so boiled rather than mashed).

I hope your pain eases soon.
Shy_girl2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Kindred)
Cold drinks and foods, cool packs on your neck, steam, honey, throat nummimg spray (ask at a pharmacy), try soft foods like.potato which don't require much effort to eat, but also aren't really sticky (so boiled rather than mashed).

I hope your pain eases soon.
Hello
Thank you so much it’s now Saturday (going into Sunday morning) and I feel so much worse. The antibiotics haven’t even started working yet and none of the painkillers are working.

I’ve tried cold things such as ice cream, drinks, soft foods etc but everything hurts I generally don’t know what to do 😭😃
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello
Thank you so much it’s now Saturday (going into Sunday morning) and I feel so much worse. The antibiotics haven’t even started working yet and none of the painkillers are working.

I’ve tried cold things such as ice cream, drinks, soft foods etc but everything hurts I generally don’t know what to do 😭😃
Ring 111 and ask them. If you're getting worse and worse you might need medical attention.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello

Try calling or visiting a pharmacy. They are good at this type of stuff and can probably think of something we haven't.
If you're struggling to eat anything consider getting some drinks like smoothies or meal replacement shakes to keep you going until you can eat something..

I know the feeling. I couldn't eat for like a week after my tonsillectomy. I just sulked in bed and tried to force myself to drink lucozade. You'll get through this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads