The Student Room Group

Why didn’t I get my period for a year and a half?

My doctor and the sexual health clinic aren’t much help on this and I think they almost don’t believe me so thought I’ll ask here instead.

I got a copper (non hormonal) coil inserted in January 2016. Before this I had regular but heavy periods my whole life since I was 9. When I was due my next period in February it never came, I went from 8 stone to 7 stone in a month and my period just completely stopped. I put it down to weight loss at the time as I was told my coil has no hormones so it can’t affect weight/skin problems/any period related things. Fast forward a year and a half to July 2017 and I haven’t had a period since January 2016. I had no interest in sex anymore, never felt moody or angry, no interest in a love life and was just generally happy without my period. In July 2017 as soon as I stepped off the plane on holiday I felt blood running down my legs and realised I must have started a period? I’ve had a period every month since except for December 2017. Like I said initially I put losing my periods down to weight loss however in July 2017 I was actually a lower weight than when they first stopped. I still haven’t put any weight back on yet I still have them.

So January 2016 - last period - weight 8 stone
February 2016 - periods stopped - 7 stone
July 2017 - 6 stone 9/10 pounds
Now - 6 stone 8 pounds

Does anyone have any idea what’s caused this? Apparently copper IUDs have no affect on periods, my weight doesn’t make any sense as to why it could affect my period (if anything I shouldn’t have them now still), my doctor and SH nurse don’t know, I haven’t had an STI, I also don’t have pelvic inflammatory disease or anything that I know of that could do something like that. I haven’t had an ultrasound though so I suppose some things are still possible.

Any advice or help would be appreciated
I had a gap in my periods for 7 months and the doctors thought I had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) so you might also have that but I'm not a doctor. they also wanted me to have an ultrasound so I would just go to the doctors and see what they say.
good luck
I think it's the weight OP. Below a certain body mass I think your periods shut down, to protect you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending