The Student Room Group

What A-levels should I pick??

For my GCSEs I've done French, Food preparation and Photography, I feel this has limited my a level choices as I do not have the option to do history or geography. I want to do photography media and criminology however my parents are completely against it. can someone please help? (also I don't know if I'm going to uni, it's looking currently like I won't so idk if that makes it harder to choose)
Reply 1
Well depending on the college/sixth form most colleges do offer History and Geography A level to those who didn't do it at A level. As I am doing A level History but I didn't even do the GCSE. Don't listen to your parents in this case as A LEVEL'S are bloody hard like they are difficult, so do subjects your interested in. I would say do facilitating subjects as you don't know what to go into or whether you are going to uni. You should consider subjects like English literature, sciences, and maths to open doors for you in the future. Hope it helps and pm on what you choose in the end. X
Reply 2
You shouldn't have a problem getting into most colleges/sixth forms to do history and/or geography if you have a decent grade in another essay based subject, particularly English Lit. However, I would say the best advice, and I wish someone had said this to me, is to keep your options open and well rounded, especially if you're not sure what you want to do in future. For example, take an art/practical subject, essay based subject and a science.

I would also add that if you're not 100% on going to university, A-Levels are not the be all and end all. They are a huge jump from GCSE in my experience and are challenging and stressful to the point where I would advise not taking them unless you are sure you want to pursue higher education. But again, in keeping your options open, it may be a good choice for now. Good luck!
"hey boss, this has nuts in, should i war-"
"don't care"
"but some people have allerg-"
"will they die"
"they cou-"
"don't care, moving on"

Quick Reply

Latest