PGCE QTS Teacher Training Bursary Questions Watch

very_452001
Badges: 7
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I hear PGCE&QTS courses are the most difficult and intense courses on the planet as its like full time work and full time education combined at the same time with 7 out of 10 pgce students dropping out or failing within the 1st year from statistics. Hence the govt. desperation for teachers due to teacher shortages. How the bursary system works and how is it fair?:

• Does the govt give the whole bursary amount as a lump sum to the provider in sept then provider pass it onto to student as monthly instalments subject to student attendance or govt gives to provider in instalments too? If lump sum at the start and student stops attending then does the provider has to give the remaining bursary amount back to the govt?

• If a student fails lets say for example an assessment such as a assignment or exam with a mark of 45% done in the winter semester or fails to hand in the assignment by the deadline but still continues to attend the course then is the student still eligible to continue getting the monthly bursary? What if that assessment requires passing 1st to progress to the 2nd assessment or to progress further into the course?

• Is the student attendance monitored daily for the bursary or a attendance register is taken when? Meaning everything on the student timetable has to be attended such as lectures etc. for the bursary? Otherwise which are the mandatory attendances for the bursary except school placements?

• I understand school placements have to be attended everyday however if a student fails teacher training standards assessments at the school early at the 1st placement then does the student have the right to continue attending the placement or go to 2nd placement later in course or can the school dismiss the student and will this affect the monthly bursary where the student cannot attend further due to this?

• Or is it just simply all assessments are done at the end of the academic year and it's just the simple matter of attending for bursary eligibility? If so which are required mandatory attendances expected from a student for the monthly bursary? I assume it's not as easy like just turning up once a month correct?

• If there is a dispute between the provider and student regarding attendance then how is this dealt with?

• So for failed assessments such as failing an assignment or exam there's a chance to repeat just these (not the whole course) at the start of the next academic year that is september until you pass them correct? For repeats is there another £9250 tuition fee to pay again or free? And shall I assume if you don't repeat these and don't attend in sept then you automatically fail the whole pgce+qts course right and no need to pay the bursary back?

I ask these questions because £6000-£26000 bursary is a huge amount assuming huge responsibility/liability on the student and I don't believe in free lunches as there is always a catch and after hearing pgce&qts course are the most difficult on the planet there bound to be catches unless someone can correct me wrong and it's all stress free.
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From my knowledge,
Bursary's are paid in monthly instalments, divided over 10 months. If student stops attending, bursary payments will stop immediately. Student does not have to give back what they received.
If they fail the PGCE year, they do have to do it again and pay the £9250 unless provider allows the year to be free, but bursary is not given again and you don't have to give the bursary back.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by very_452001)
I hear PGCE&QTS courses are the most difficult and intense courses on the planet as its like full time work and full time education combined at the same time with 7 out of 10 pgce students dropping out or failing within the 1st year from statistics. Hence the govt. desperation for teachers due to teacher shortages. How the bursary system works and how is it fair?:

• Does the govt give the whole bursary amount as a lump sum to the provider in sept then provider pass it onto to student as monthly instalments subject to student attendance or govt gives to provider in instalments too? If lump sum at the start and student stops attending then does the provider has to give the remaining bursary amount back to the govt?

• If a student fails lets say for example an assessment such as a assignment or exam with a mark of 45% done in the winter semester or fails to hand in the assignment by the deadline but still continues to attend the course then is the student still eligible to continue getting the monthly bursary? What if that assessment requires passing 1st to progress to the 2nd assessment or to progress further into the course?

• Is the student attendance monitored daily for the bursary or a attendance register is taken when? Meaning everything on the student timetable has to be attended such as lectures etc. for the bursary? Otherwise which are the mandatory attendances for the bursary except school placements?

• I understand school placements have to be attended everyday however if a student fails teacher training standards assessments at the school early at the 1st placement then does the student have the right to continue attending the placement or go to 2nd placement later in course or can the school dismiss the student and will this affect the monthly bursary where the student cannot attend further due to this?

• Or is it just simply all assessments are done at the end of the academic year and it's just the simple matter of attending for bursary eligibility? If so which are required mandatory attendances expected from a student for the monthly bursary? I assume it's not as easy like just turning up once a month correct?

• If there is a dispute between the provider and student regarding attendance then how is this dealt with?

• So for failed assessments such as failing an assignment or exam there's a chance to repeat just these (not the whole course) at the start of the next academic year that is september until you pass them correct? For repeats is there another £9250 tuition fee to pay again or free? And shall I assume if you don't repeat these and don't attend in sept then you automatically fail the whole pgce+qts course right and no need to pay the bursary back?

I ask these questions because £6000-£26000 bursary is a huge amount assuming huge responsibility/liability on the student and I don't believe in free lunches as there is always a catch and after hearing pgce&qts course are the most difficult on the planet there bound to be catches unless someone can correct me wrong and it's all stress free.
I'm afraid I can't answer your first question, but I don't think it would ever matter to you as a student.

2) Most PGCE courses offer chances to resubmit assignments. AFIAK, no assignment would ever be a block to progression as this would be counter-intuitive for students. If you're really struggling with the PGCE element, most unis will allow you to separate this from the QTS, and just get QTS. In this case, as long as you're still working towards QTS, you'd still get the bursary.

3) Attendance is monitored because students need to do a certain number of days of training to get QTS and the uni needs to be able to prove this. "Training" includes uni based sessions as well as the school based ones. A certain amount of slack is build into the system to allow for student illness and school closures (e.g. due to snow). If you're unable to attend for some reason, you still get the bursary paid initially, but if you end up having to take a long term "leave of absence" with the aim of resuming next year, obviously your bursary payments stop. If your attendance ends up too low, you may have to do extra days in school at the end of the year to get QTS- but you'd be warned well in advance of this by your tutor.

4) Placements aren't pass/fail assessed in the way you're imagining. If you're struggling, most unis have a system where you'd be designated "cause for concern" or "special measures". This means that you're given an action plan to help bring you up to scratch, but you can transfer between placements whilst on an action plan. If it looks like you're not improving then you may eventually be "encouraged" to leave. You may also have to spend extra time in school, if you're not quite up to scratch at the end of your final placement. It's actually very, very hard for the uni to ask you to leave part way through the year, though and none of this would affect your bursary payments. If a school withdraws a placement, the uni would try to find you another suitable placement- but if for some reason they're unable to place you, you might have to take a suspension, but this is really rare and only really done with the student's agreement that they want to leave the course- if you wanted to stay, the uni would find a way to help you unless you'd done something criminal or which meant you weren't suitable to teach anymore.

5) Assignments are done throughout the year- passing or failing them has no bearing on you being allowed to continue your ITT course- most assignments are just for the PGCE component- you can fail this and still get QTS. If you failed something related to QTS, you'd be given help and support to resubmit. Regular attendance is expected- like I say, you have to do a minimum number of days to get QTS. If you weren't turning up, your uni tutor would obviously discuss this with you and talk to you about whether the course was right for you- you definitely wouldn't be able to get away with turning up once in a month without a serious medical reason- in this scenario, it's very likely the uni would push you into taking a leave of absence and picking the course back up next year (if you wanted to). At this point, payments would stop.

6) I don't really see how a dispute about attendance could arise- if you were absent enough for it to be a problem, it would soon be obvious. In school especially, it's very obvious if you're there or if you're not. There's very few large lectures where you could get away with e.g. someone else signing you in, even most uni days are done in small group seminars/workshops.

7) I'm not sure how re submissions work at other unis, but at mine, you're given a chance to resubmit anything outstanding over the summer- there's no fee for this. Your tutor works with you to get your QTS evidence ready, so it's only really the PGCE element you could fail. If you needed to resit a module of this, e.g. via distance learning in the following September, I think this would be possible (although not essential for teaching) but you'd probably have to pay on a per module basis.

The only situation where you have to pay money back is if you leave part way through a month, so if you leave say on the 15th and you were paid on the first, you have to pay back half that month's bursary- but unis will allow you a sensible timescale to do this.

I hope this helps answer your questions. The PGCE year is of course pretty stressful but tbh getting paid was one of the easier bits! It's also not like most undergrad courses, where failing one assignment can be a big deal- the tutors really want you to pass and there are loads of chances to do so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (152)
17.76%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.76%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (123)
14.37%

Watched Threads