The Student Room Group

Second Degree

I am 57 years old and currently not working having retired from my previous profession dues to stress. I would like to study Fine Art with a view to making my living as a self employed artist and I have an offer from Staffordshire University to study BA (hons) in Fine Art commencing 2019. However I already have a BA (hons) in Philosophy from the University of Birmingham where I graduated in 1988. Can I get a student loan or any other financial support for a second degree bearing in mind that my first degree was achieved over thirty years ago? I can study either full time or part time depending on what support, if any, is available. I understand there are restrictions on funding for a second degree but I wondered if there are any exceptions for mature people such as myself who want to embark on a new direction in later life.
Original post by andrewco
I am 57 years old and currently not working having retired from my previous profession dues to stress. I would like to study Fine Art with a view to making my living as a self employed artist and I have an offer from Staffordshire University to study BA (hons) in Fine Art commencing 2019. However I already have a BA (hons) in Philosophy from the University of Birmingham where I graduated in 1988. Can I get a student loan or any other financial support for a second degree bearing in mind that my first degree was achieved over thirty years ago? I can study either full time or part time depending on what support, if any, is available. I understand there are restrictions on funding for a second degree but I wondered if there are any exceptions for mature people such as myself who want to embark on a new direction in later life.

Second degree funding is only allowed for healthcare and stem degrees I m afraid.
Hi @andrewco

It's fantastic that you're embarking on a new challenge.

Our Student's Union have a Money Doctor service that can advise on any financial support (including potential bursaries) that may be available to you.

You can access information at: https://www.staffsunion.com/advice/money/ or you can chat with them at https://www.facebook.com/staffs.moneydoctor.1

Hope this helps, feel free to contact us at any point if you need further clarification on things.

Best wishes,

Shaun
Original post by andrewco

Hi there,

Unfortunately, you would not be eligible for funding for a second degree in Fine Art. We would recommend speaking to your university to see if there is any other funding you could be eligible for.

Thanks, Ashley.
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply, this is what I keep hearing but occasionally someone suggests otherwise so I thought I would try a post here before I give up.
Original post by claireestelle
Second degree funding is only allowed for healthcare and stem degrees I m afraid.
Reply 5
I have already spoken to student finance at an open day but didn't find anything to pursue, however I will certainly have another go, thanks. Andrew
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @andrewco

It's fantastic that you're embarking on a new challenge.

Our Student's Union have a Money Doctor service that can advise on any financial support (including potential bursaries) that may be available to you.

You can access information at: https://www.staffsunion.com/advice/money/ or you can chat with them at https://www.facebook.com/staffs.moneydoctor.1

Hope this helps, feel free to contact us at any point if you need further clarification on things.

Best wishes,

Shaun
Reply 6
Hi, thanks for replying, I thought this was the case but I thought it worthwhile asking to be sure, I will now cross student finance off my rather short list of funding options Thanks, Andrew
Original post by SFE Ashley
Hi there,

Unfortunately, you would not be eligible for funding for a second degree in Fine Art. We would recommend speaking to your university to see if there is any other funding you could be eligible for.

Thanks, Ashley.
Reply 7
Thanks to everyone who has offered answers and assistance. For the benefit of anyone in a similar situation who may be following this thread here is a brief summary of the most useful things I have learned.
- You can only get student finance loans for a second degree in a very limited range of subjects (Fine Art isn't one of them)
- It is worth checking if you can do an integrated masters combining a degree with an MA Because this is classed as a higher level than the degree I have it is eligible for funding but only a few universities offer them and only in certain subjects
- I could get funding for an MA (but I feel I need to do the degree first as i want to learn practical skills to improve my art and not just research something so this option isn't for me)
- It is worth considering doing the degree part time and self financing. It may be possible to cover the cost of fees with a part time job.
However, as far as I am concerned after considering my limited options I have decided not to study at degree level. I still intend to go into business as an artist but with regret I have let go of my desire to improve my painting through studying for a degree in Fine Art and will look for learning opportunities elsewhere. I may come back to this later if i am earning enough to self finance.
Thanks again and good luck to anyone else in this situation.
Andrew
Hello,

You’re welcome! If you’re looking for learning opportunities elsewhere then you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan if you decide to study a level 3 or 4 course. You can find more information about the funding available here: http://ow.ly/4qlf30ns77C

Thanks, Erin N.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending