_elliemain
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm just about to finish my first year of sixth form. I take 3 A Levels: Psychology, History and Sociology, and I take 1 IB subject: Spanish. I have been performing at a consistent B/A grade in both Sociology and Psychology all year. I have been struggling in History to be fair, but initially, I had been predicted an A. I was struggling with other issues during my mock exams, and have not received the results I was expected. Therefore, I have now been predicted CAC and a 5 in my Spanish IB. I was hoping to apply to a university for Psychology who's entry requirements are BBB. I know in my real A-Level exams I will achieve BBB or even BAB, but unfortunately, this is not reflected in my predicted grades. How will this affect my application/will I be able to apply at all for entry 2020? School is unwilling to change my predicted grades.
OnABus2Neverland
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes it will, your predicted grades are what you give to universities. Depending on your predicted grades, universities can give you conditional offers or decline your application
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Difficult to say what will happen. Many universities are making offers with students below their predicted grades. The offer will be BBB even though they might accept lower.
OnABus2Neverland
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I say try to get your predicted grades to be as high as you can, resit your exams do what you have to do... better to be safe than sorry
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
not much if you can't get them
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by _elliemain)
I'm just about to finish my first year of sixth form. I take 3 A Levels: Psychology, History and Sociology, and I take 1 IB subject: Spanish. I have been performing at a consistent B/A grade in both Sociology and Psychology all year. I have been struggling in History to be fair, but initially, I had been predicted an A. I was struggling with other issues during my mock exams, and have not received the results I was expected. Therefore, I have now been predicted CAC and a 5 in my Spanish IB. I was hoping to apply to a university for Psychology who's entry requirements are BBB. I know in my real A-Level exams I will achieve BBB or even BAB, but unfortunately, this is not reflected in my predicted grades. How will this affect my application/will I be able to apply at all for entry 2020? School is unwilling to change my predicted grades.
Why are you so confident that you’ll get BBB when your school are not? You need to understand what makes them so concerned about your results and then find a way to demonstrate that you’re capable of getting higher grades before your reference is finalised in January 2020. That gives you plenty of time to up your grades and demonstrate your capabilities and motivation to do well.

Worst case you apply with lower predictions, get no offers and then have to find a place in clearing next August or take a gap year and reapply with your grades in hand.
_elliemain
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
because i've been at a consistent A Grade all year. And i tend to work well under pressure. In my mock GCSEs i got all Ds and then took the real exams with all A/A*
(Original post by PQ)
Why are you so confident that you’ll get BBB when your school are not? You need to understand what makes them so concerned about your results and then find a way to demonstrate that you’re capable of getting higher grades before your reference is finalised in January 2020. That gives you plenty of time to up your grades and demonstrate your capabilities and motivation to do well.

Worst case you apply with lower predictions, get no offers and then have to find a place in clearing next August or take a gap year and reapply with your grades in hand.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by _elliemain)
because i've been at a consistent A Grade all year. And i tend to work well under pressure. In my mock GCSEs i got all Ds and then took the real exams with all A/A*
It’s not me you need to convince - it’s your teachers. Do they know about your gcse mock results? Do they know what was affecting you in your A level mocks? Can you reassure them that that isn’t going to affect you next year and that you’ve improved your grades over the summer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

13.43%
1 (97)
12.65%
2 (95)
12.39%
18.9%
22.82%
19.82%

Watched Threads