Buying my first car and insurance Watch

AquaGuy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So, I haven’t even finished my lessons yet but really want to buy a car, since the only person who could possibly help me to drive in between lessons, my Grandad, drives automatic and I’m learning in a manual.

I know next to nothing about insurance and only slightly more about buying a car. My grandad won’t help me because he thinks I need to wait until I at least pass my test, (he said he’d help me then) but I’m struggling in the lessons since I only take 2 hours a week at the moment (but am going to the and take 4 hours).
I just need more practise, that’s the thing that’s slowing me down at the moment.

Another thing, I belive that if I buy a car at this stage, I will be greatly more motivated to learn at the risk of wasting my money. I do have a lot saved up, maybe not enough (but I do have thousands currently since I have been saving up money for the past few years).
I am 24 so I know my insurance will be sky high but I can’t avoid that.

So, basically, is there tips people can give me regarding this?
You might be thinking it’s a dumb idea but I have thought it through more than I’ve said on here, I’ve weighed the pros and cons for quite a while now.

Thanks. ✌️
arjanvirdi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd wait until you passed to start looking for a car. However, when you look for a car, look for a small engine size, to minimize the insurance costs. Do insurance quotes on cars you're looking at to see if you're happy with the price.
Nub Jub
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For new learners, it'll be hard to adjust to different cars because the clutch is slightly different. Trust me and your grandad, you should wait until you pass. You wouldn't benefit much if you practice with your own car.
Xarao
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why not just buy a helicopter while you're at it and finish the course later?

We seriously need a more dramatic facepalm emoji for threads like this.
James.P_98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There’s no rush to pass honest. Take is slow. I was taking 1 hour a week for around 6 months and was driving with my parents outside of lessons. 2 hours a week is plenty.

It’s your choice regarding a car, I got one when I was learning as it helped me learn in the car I would eventually drive so no need to adjust to the clutch / biting point ect. But unless you have someone who is going to go out with you don’t bother because you won’t be able to use it.

Keep going with 2 hours a week, if you have someone who will go out with you then by all means get a cheap run around to learn outside of lessons but most importantly don’t rush! You want to actually know how to drive properly not just the basics or you’ll be re taking your test again and again. Oh and get your theory test done ASAP.

(Original post by AquaGuy)
So, I haven’t even finished my lessons yet but really want to buy a car, since the only person who could possibly help me to drive in between lessons, my Grandad, drives automatic and I’m learning in a manual.

I know next to nothing about insurance and only slightly more about buying a car. My grandad won’t help me because he thinks I need to wait until I at least pass my test, (he said he’d help me then) but I’m struggling in the lessons since I only take 2 hours a week at the moment (but am going to the and take 4 hours).
I just need more practise, that’s the thing that’s slowing me down at the moment.

Another thing, I belive that if I buy a car at this stage, I will be greatly more motivated to learn at the risk of wasting my money. I do have a lot saved up, maybe not enough (but I do have thousands currently since I have been saving up money for the past few years).

You might be thinking it’s a dumb idea but I have thought it through more than I’ve said on here, I’ve weighed the pros and cons for quite a while now.

Thanks. ✌️
James.P_98
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would have to disagree with you there. It may be confusing at first but driving multiple manuals allows you to properly understand how to drive (different biting points ect) I found it very useful when I was learning to drive a different car outside of lessons.

Each to there own though!
(Original post by Nub Jub)
For new learners, it'll be hard to adjust to different cars because the clutch is slightly different. Trust me and your grandad, you should wait until you pass. You wouldn't benefit much if you practice with your own car.
Nub Jub
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
While what you say is true, OP did say hes struggling and i based it off from that and my own experience. To be realistic here, its more of a hassle to buy a car just to have more practice than just being patient. Like you said, there's no rush

Learners typically find it harder to understand how the clutch and biting works, if they try it from different vehicles before understanding the concept, it'll take longer compared to one vehicle. But everyone works differently, some better at learning stuff than others so it's rlly down on the individual themselves. But I do agree with your points nonetheless
James.P_98
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nub Jub)
While what you say is true, OP did say hes struggling and i based it off from that and my own experience. To be realistic here, its more of a hassle to buy a car just to have more practice than just being patient. Like you said, there's no rush

Learners typically find it harder to understand how the clutch and biting works, if they try it from different vehicles before understanding the concept, it'll take longer compared to one vehicle. But everyone works differently, some better at learning stuff than others so it's rlly down on the individual themselves. But I do agree with your points nonetheless
Very true. I agree with you! Until you at least learn the concept, stick to the one car, if once you can grasp the principal of clutch / biting point then by all means look at a car for outside of lessons as it’ll potentially help you.

Take it slow and you’ll be fine. Don’t put pressure on yourself to pass as soon as possible.
R4JBO55
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Jus wait until u pass bro buy the car if u got the money and leave it. And when u pass out ur mums name or something esp is she has a provisional and ur insurance will go down baressss
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
James.P_98
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The one benefit to taking insurance out in your own name and driving a car registered to you whilst learning is earning NCD. But that’s only if you think it’ll take you around a year to pass. It definitely helped when it came to my second quote being able to add 1 year NCD having only just passed.
HZXHZX
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My biggest tip is, dont go for a good car?
By this i mean that a *****y and really used BMW or Mercedes isnt better than a semi used golf, or near new car.
Trust me on this,
if your insurance is too high, then there is an offer where you can get free insurance with a new car, and this only about £120 a Month, and after the first year of free insurance, you get 1 years no claims bonus and slightly cheaper insurance as youve been on the road for a year.

another advice i have is engine and oil, the car i had a huge ass engine and took around £30 a fuel a week, however if you go with a some cars you can get up to 60 miles per the gallons meaning you can get by on like £20 a month of fuel depending on how much you drive.

anywaym whatever you do good luck, a good recomendation would be a dacia sandero, which is £5800 NEW!
(Original post by AquaGuy)

Thanks. ✌️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads