The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2019-20

hi, here's a thread for Advanced higher biology 2019-20

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm studying Advanced Higher Biology this year and during the holidays we have to come up with our project ideas. I'm looking to do something with enzymes but I'm not exactly sure what, any ideas?
I'm hoping to base my project on parasites, but I'd suggest reading the course spec and making your project relevant to the advanced higher course. Maybe something to do with the difference between competitive and non-competitive inhibition, or even digestion of proteins and what part enzymes play? Here's the link for the course specification if you'd like to read it: https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCourseSpecBiology.pdf
Hope this helps!
Original post by emma3847
Hey, I'm studying Advanced Higher Biology this year and during the holidays we have to come up with our project ideas. I'm looking to do something with enzymes but I'm not exactly sure what, any ideas?
Reply 3
Original post by megmaree652
I'm hoping to base my project on parasites, but I'd suggest reading the course spec and making your project relevant to the advanced higher course. Maybe something to do with the difference between competitive and non-competitive inhibition, or even digestion of proteins and what part enzymes play? Here's the link for the course specification if you'd like to read it: https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCourseSpecBiology.pdf
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look at the course specification and it looks like there is not much to do with enzymes unfortunately. Does our investigation have to relate to the course? I've tried to research different experiments that I could do with enzymes but I'm not really sure what is advanced higher level as we have only really done a bit of unit three so far. I'm thinking of doing something with the enzyme catechol oxidase and the browning of fruit but I'm not exactly sure what I would investigate to do with that and what level the investigation would have to be.
I’m pretty sure it has to relate quite well to the course, and the more relevant it is the easier it is to write the underlying biology. We’ve hardly done anything yet in class so I can’t really help you much in terms of what level your experiment into browning fruit is, but I’m sure if you ask your teacher they’ll approve it or ask you to do something more complex. I hope your idea is appropriate and best of luck for this year.
Reply 5
Hey guys, I done the Advanced Higher Biology Course and got an A this year and got into Medicine. If you have any questions, please ask!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by S_x_x
Hey guys, I done the Advanced Higher Biology Course and got an A this year. If you have any questions, please ask!

I'm from London but graduated from St Andrews uni with a degree in Biology.... can someone please explain to me why the hell anyone would do Advanced Highers and stay at school for another year instead of going straight to uni after Highers?! it was something i never understood
Original post by A Rolling Stone
I'm from London but graduated from St Andrews uni with a degree in Biology.... can someone please explain to me why the hell anyone would do Advanced Highers and stay at school for another year instead of going straight to uni after Highers?! it was something i never understood

The only reason I’m doing AH biology is because it’s a requirement to get into university. Also, people may want to try different advanced highers before committing to one to study at university.
The only reason I’m doing AH biology is because it’s a requirement to get into university. Also, people may want to try different advanced highers before committing to one to study at university.

Untitled.png

hmmm.... according to St A's website you only need Highers?! Are you applying to Oxbridge then?
Reply 9
There are many reasons. Some people may feel that Advanced Higher provides them with more of an insight into a subject that they enjoy. Some people who miss out on higher grades may receive conditional offers for advanced higher grades. Some courses , such as Medicine , require Advanced Highers. Advanced Highers are also more focussed on independent study and enhancing high order thinking skills, through projects and the more in depth curriculum, so people may enjoy this independence.
Untitled.png

hmmm.... according to St A's website you only need Highers?! Are you applying to Oxbridge then?

Oh no I’m applying for veterinary medicine! Most biology courses won’t require advanced highers, sorry for the confusion. Some courses will also recommend you take advanced highers but don’t require it.
Oh no I’m applying for veterinary medicine! Most biology courses won’t require advanced highers, sorry for the confusion. Some courses will also recommend you take advanced highers but don’t require it.

ahhh that definitely makes sense as most people do 3 subjects in their first year of uni but medicine degrees are straight medicine from the start and are very competitive
ahhh that definitely makes sense as most people do 3 subjects in their first year of uni but medicine degrees are straight medicine from the start and are very competitive

Yeah, exactly! It’s better to have a base of knowledge on chemistry and biology before going to vet/medical school, I suppose that’s why they want you to have advanced highers.
Wanting to do my project with bacteria but I have no idea what to research.
i just picked up advanced biology after dropping advanced history (i was doing history at a different school because mine doesn’t run it and was not enjoying it) so got a whole month to catch up on lmao, any heads up on what to expect?
Hey everyone, can you all recommend me the best textbook for ADH biology this year, preferably with updated content?
The textbook we’ve been given in school is the Bright Red book and it’s been updated with all the 2019 content. I quite like it but it does go into a lot of detail though sometimes this helps improve your understanding. Hope this helps!
The textbook we’ve been given in school is the Bright Red book and it’s been updated with all the 2019 content. I quite like it but it does go into a lot of detail though sometimes this helps improve your understanding. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I was wondering if you know if the course has changed much from 2015 to now, as I found an edition published in 2015 which is way cheaper.
Unfortunately there’s a new section this year in cells and proteins which is quite substantial, and I imagine the course will have changed quite significantly in the past few years, but the 2015 wouldn’t be a complete waste of money as you’ll still be able to use some of the resources.
Original post by charlie0912
i just picked up advanced biology after dropping advanced history (i was doing history at a different school because mine doesn’t run it and was not enjoying it) so got a whole month to catch up on lmao, any heads up on what to expect?

We done a lot! Copy notes from someone and try to understand them as they will be needed throughout the course. If you can't understand something I'm sure your teacher will be happy to help you.

Quick Reply