SCHOLARuk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by S_x_x)
SCHOLAR can be useful, but honestly I used it occasionally as i feel it didn’t benefit me as much.
Thanks for the mention S_x_x! Out of interest, is there any particular reason why you didn't feel like it was of benefit to you? Just in case you don't already know, we're running our Online Tutor Sessions again this academic year, including sessions for AH Biology: https://scholar.hw.ac.uk/sessions.html
Andrew.Macleod7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That’s such helpful advice, thank you so much! Hope you’re enjoying Medicine!
CharG3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey! did u do well in ur prelims as well as u did in the final exams?
bulbasaur55
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone! Does anyone else have the bright red textbook? On most of the pages there’s a note on the side that says we can find online tests on their website but when I went on it there was only N5 and Higher biology? Anyone else have this problem?
S_x_x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bulbasaur55)
Hi everyone! Does anyone else have the bright red textbook? On most of the pages there’s a note on the side that says we can find online tests on their website but when I went on it there was only N5 and Higher biology? Anyone else have this problem?
If you go to the page with all the Higher subjects, at the bottom there’s a small list of advanced higher subjects, biology should be there (if memory serves me right)
Katyyferrierr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I’m doing Advanced Higher this year n I’m doing my project on the effect of increasing painkiller concentration on alpha amylase activity.
bulbasaur55
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I’m meant to do my risk assessment to hand in for tomorrow but i’m quite stuck on how to do it. I cant seem to find examples of it in example projects on understanding standards, so can anyone tell me how i’m meant to do it? Thank you!
Andrew.Macleod7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bulbasaur55)
Hi, I’m meant to do my risk assessment to hand in for tomorrow but i’m quite stuck on how to do it. I cant seem to find examples of it in example projects on understanding standards, so can anyone tell me how i’m meant to do it? Thank you!
Hey I don’t think you actually need it included in the project write up which will be why you’re struggling to find examples, it’s just something that you need to do before undertaking experimental work.

Did mine a month or so ago and I used the chemical-risk- precaution structure - what are the risks associated with any chemicals/procedures your project involves and what steps have you taken to minimise that risk? If you’re struggling try using the CLEAPSS student safety cards for your chemical (look up online), they helped me.
Ali$hah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone doing theirs on effect of alcohol concentration on Daphnia heart rate...
Ali$hah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by S_x_x)
Hey guys, I done the Advanced Higher Biology Course and got an A this year and got into Medicine. If you have any questions, please ask!
Hi totally irrelevant but what did you get in your ucat
Emks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Ali$hah)
Anyone doing theirs on effect of alcohol concentration on Daphnia heart rate...
I am investigating the effect of ethanol, caffeine, lactose and sucrose on Daphnia.M heartrate. Caffeine being the only stimulant my school could get (acetylcholine, noradrenaline and nicotine were all too toxic for me to be allowed to use) the rest being depressants, I think I’ll be using ethanol as my positive control to show that daphnia.m heartrate can be influenced and measured. My pilot was investigating how long after I moved the Daphnia before their heartrates have returned to the “non-stressed” resting rate.
Ali$hah
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Cool I think my

(Original post by Emks)
I am investigating the effect of ethanol, caffeine, lactose and sucrose on Daphnia.M heartrate. Caffeine being the only stimulant my school could get (acetylcholine, noradrenaline and nicotine were all too toxic for me to be allowed to use) the rest being depressants, I think I’ll be using ethanol as my positive control to show that daphnia.m heartrate can be influenced and measured. My pilot was investigating how long after I moved the Daphnia before their heartrates have returned to the “non-stressed” resting rate.
cool my pilot was to find out How long I should leave the daphnia in the solution to bring about an effect but not be lethal either

Also I am doing effects of caffiene and ethanol only and for caffiene I have used energy drinks 😬 but they didn’t really have much of a difference I think

Also are u culturing them or are u buying them in ?
TrRhoul
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 19 hours ago
(Original post by Ali$hah)
Cool I think my

cool my pilot was to find out How long I should leave the daphnia in the solution to bring about an effect but not be lethal either

Also I am doing effects of caffiene and ethanol only and for caffiene I have used energy drinks 😬 but they didn’t really have much of a difference I think

Also are u culturing them or are u buying them in ?
My teachers got me 300, which I am trying very hard to culture and not die. Bear in mind the lab I’m using has tonnes of first years who like to fiddle with my air-stone and the tank haha
Ali$hah
Rep:
?
Report 19 hours ago
(Original post by TrRhoul)
My teachers got me 300, which I am trying very hard to culture and not die. Bear in mind the lab I’m using has tonnes of first years who like to fiddle with my air-stone and the tank haha
Haha good luck !! I say make a big sign saying first years stay away !!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (9)
9.57%
They've been reasonable (35)
37.23%
Not feeling great... (26)
27.66%
They are TERRIBLE! (24)