The Student Room Group

Neighbours driving me mad

My bedroom has a shared bedroom with my neighbours bedroom
My neighbours are absolute hell. For two weeks straight theyve been banging on the shared wall as theyve been building a wardrobe. Theyve also played loud tv 4 times in the last week including having their kids scream until 11:00pm 11:30pm. As i wake up quite early (varies between 5 and 7 am) its driving me mad because loud noises and bangs trigger my anxiety and I struggle to get to sleep hours afterwards
My family has never confronted them before, despite the fact their kids scream loudly all day and bang the gate on the shared alley on our walls which cracked parts of our wall! We know kids will be kids but the constant noise has meant we cant use our garden and sit outside due to how loud it is. Theyve also had several loud parties which go on to the early hours of the morning and still we never complained.
Ive been wearing earplugs for two years due to this (sleeping when it came to exams was a nightmare) but i can STILL hear the noise especially now as their tv appears to be right against the shared wall.
The walls are very thin and im desperate for insulation but I have a window a cm away from the shared wall and thus adding insulation would mean removing the window which would be very costly. Due to the placement of the window i also cannot put a wardrobe or furniture against the wall to deaden the sound.
I admit that in the past year I have attempted banging back on their wall to alert them to how loud they are but they just bang back and turn the tv up louder. Even now i can tell the mother telling her kids to stay up late to continue watching tv (despite the kids protests).
I feel completely helpless. Talking to them doesnt feel like an option as theyre quite intimidating.
Ive tried recording them using my phone but the voice recorders really bad and doesnt pick the noise up (even though its loud enough to hear through earplugs). I also dont know if the council could help as i know noise is allowed until 11pm however for me (as i get up early) i always try to sleep at 10pm and the noise triggering my anxiety means i cant truly fall asleep for hours after they stop because my mind is racing.

Does anyone have any solutions at all? I really dont want to get on the wrong side of my neighbours but im absolutely desperate. I have a driving test coming up during the summer holidays and I really need to be able to sleep for that!
Sorry if any of this hasnt made sense. Im very tired and honestly quite angry about it. I feel i should have a right to be able to sleep in my own home!
Original post by Angel499
My bedroom has a shared bedroom with my neighbours bedroom
My neighbours are absolute hell. For two weeks straight theyve been banging on the shared wall as theyve been building a wardrobe. Theyve also played loud tv 4 times in the last week including having their kids scream until 11:00pm 11:30pm. As i wake up quite early (varies between 5 and 7 am) its driving me mad because loud noises and bangs trigger my anxiety and I struggle to get to sleep hours afterwards
My family has never confronted them before, despite the fact their kids scream loudly all day and bang the gate on the shared alley on our walls which cracked parts of our wall! We know kids will be kids but the constant noise has meant we cant use our garden and sit outside due to how loud it is. Theyve also had several loud parties which go on to the early hours of the morning and still we never complained.
Ive been wearing earplugs for two years due to this (sleeping when it came to exams was a nightmare) but i can STILL hear the noise especially now as their tv appears to be right against the shared wall.
The walls are very thin and im desperate for insulation but I have a window a cm away from the shared wall and thus adding insulation would mean removing the window which would be very costly. Due to the placement of the window i also cannot put a wardrobe or furniture against the wall to deaden the sound.
I admit that in the past year I have attempted banging back on their wall to alert them to how loud they are but they just bang back and turn the tv up louder. Even now i can tell the mother telling her kids to stay up late to continue watching tv (despite the kids protests).
I feel completely helpless. Talking to them doesnt feel like an option as theyre quite intimidating.
Ive tried recording them using my phone but the voice recorders really bad and doesnt pick the noise up (even though its loud enough to hear through earplugs). I also dont know if the council could help as i know noise is allowed until 11pm however for me (as i get up early) i always try to sleep at 10pm and the noise triggering my anxiety means i cant truly fall asleep for hours after they stop because my mind is racing.

Does anyone have any solutions at all? I really dont want to get on the wrong side of my neighbours but im absolutely desperate. I have a driving test coming up during the summer holidays and I really need to be able to sleep for that!
Sorry if any of this hasnt made sense. Im very tired and honestly quite angry about it. I feel i should have a right to be able to sleep in my own home!

Have you told your parents how you feel?
Reply 2
Sorry for the late reply but yes i have but they steps so that we stay on 'good terms' with the neighbours. Theyve mentioned putting in soundproof walls and soundproofing the floor but as its expensive it looks like it wont happen in a long time.
They're currently getting laminate floor fitted into the bedroom next to mine which im sure is going to make things ten times noisier. Worst luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending