Manip01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm stuck on what A levels to pick from and I want to do a joint undergrad in Law.
Can anyone help?
Also, I know that in my college Law A level is a thing and I've heard it preps you for some topics for uni so maybe that's one subject!
jasminealiexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
PICK WHAT YOU LOVE
but they do like to see history and english
if you're going to take law make sure to take a 4th one from the list of desirable A levels by unis
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jasminealiexx)
PICK WHAT YOU LOVE
I like your passion
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Generally law has no specific requirements, though some universities prefer essay subjects or more "academic" subjects (e.g. Leeds who state "Two of your A-levels must be in traditional academic subjects"). A humanities/essay subject like history/english lit would probably be a good idea. Law as an A Level is iffy, some people state universities aren't keen on it as they like to teach their way from scratch, however it can also be a good indicator to if law is for you.

So basically pick three subjects you like and enjoy and believe you can get good grades in, but essay/"academic" subjects are recommended!
BlueGiraffe15
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What law profession do you want to go into? 💖
Yasablanca
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Alongside picking what you love, pick things you're good at. Any range of A-level subjects will provide you with transferable skills which can be applied to the study of Law at university, so as long as you're picking some traditional subjects, you should be good to go.

e.g: "Studying Law at Cambridge requires students to make use of, and develop, a very wide range of skills. Subjects such as Politics, Philosophy, Economics, and History are all highly relevant to the study of Law. The kinds of interpretative and analytical abilities required to make sense of the law and legal texts are not unlike those needed by students studying English or the Natural Sciences. The mental rigour needed to apply the law correctly to a problem scenario can be almost mathematical in nature. Writing essays on what the law should say on a range of controversial issues involves the development of rhetorical skills that will be familiar to students of Classics." - https://www.pem.cam.ac.uk/study-here...te/courses/law

You'll find that most universities favour a broad mix of traditional academic subjects, and all of them expect a high level of literacy. Most people I know who study Law at university have studied 2 humanities subjects and 1 STEM subject at A-level. Ultimately you want your 2 years at sixth form / college to be enjoyable so make sure you're picking what you enjoy above all else.
Lord Vitiate
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Manip01)
I'm stuck on what A levels to pick from and I want to do a joint undergrad in Law.
Can anyone help?
Also, I know that in my college Law A level is a thing and I've heard it preps you for some topics for uni so maybe that's one subject!
Pick what you're interested in studying - I've not seen any university law programmes that require you to take a particular A level (excluding general studies). When I was picking my A levels four years (I'm now Level 3 of the LL.B), I took A level Sociology, Business Studies and Law.

However, I would suggest you pick A levels that you think suit your prospective career path. If you want to go onto an LL.B, pick A level Law, if you want. It'll give you a very, very small taster of what Law is like.
Last edited by Lord Vitiate; 1 year ago
Manip01
Rep:
?
Okay thanks, I think I might take Philosophy, history, and English literature OR either English language, English literature and History.
(Original post by Lord Vitiate)
Pick what you're interested in studying - I've not seen any university law programmes that require you to take a particular A level (excluding general studies). When I was picking my A levels four years (I'm now Level 3 of the LL.B), I took A level Sociology, Business Studies and Law.

However, I would suggest you pick A levels that you think suit your prospective career path. If you want to go onto an LL.B, pick A level Law, if you want. It'll give you a very, very small taster of what Law is like.
Manip01
Rep:
?
Thank you I think I might take History, English Literature and English language, OR philosophy instead of English language.
Generally law has no specific requirements, though some universities prefer essay subjects or more "academic" subjects (e.g. Leeds who state "Two of your A-levels must be in traditional academic subjects"). A humanities/essay subject like history/english lit would probably be a good idea. Law as an A Level is iffy, some people state universities aren't keen on it as they like to teach their way from scratch, however it can also be a good indicator to if law is for you.

So basically pick three subjects you like and enjoy and believe you can get good grades in, but essay/"academic" subjects are recommended!
euphoricat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any facilitating subjects, really. One dude from my school got an offer for law at Oxford with 3A*s predictions in Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know people who have gotten into Oxbridge law with ‘soft’ subjects, someone in the year above at my school got into Oxford with sociology, psychology and politics. It really doesn’t matter, choose whatever subjects (within reason) you’ll get the highest grades in.
Manip01
Rep:
?
Okay thanks for the guidance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads