Which to choose for Politics - Birkbeck or Westminster?

Watch this thread
couscous-comrade
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am wondering if anyone has experience of studying politics at Birkbeck or Westminster and cares to share their opinion (I would be postgraduate research but thoughts on undergrad and/or postgraduate taught welcome). I'm on the fence between both and my pros and cons list keeps growing.

For my particular field of interest, I know Birkbeck is much better in terms of what it offers, but I am wondering which is best in terms of reputation and overall quality of research produced.
username4750946
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going to a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

:excited: Good luck
(Original post by couscous-comrade)
I am wondering if anyone has experience of studying politics at Birkbeck or Westminster and cares to share their opinion (I would be postgraduate research but thoughts on undergrad and/or postgraduate taught welcome). I'm on the fence between both and my pros and cons list keeps growing.

For my particular field of interest, I know Birkbeck is much better in terms of what it offers, but I am wondering which is best in terms of reputation and overall quality of research produced.
bloomer36
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Satyr)
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going to a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

How do you know it has a higher ranking? Birkbeck isn't even on the league tables.
username4750946
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If Birkbeck is not on the league table then the it is not in the top 100 meaning that Westminster has a higher ranking.
(Original post by bloomer36)
How do you know it has a higher ranking? Birkbeck isn't even on the league tables.
bloomer36
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Satyr)
If Birkbeck is not on the league table then the it is not in the top 100 meaning that Westminster has a higher ranking.
No. Birkbeck chose not to be on the ranking tables.
couscous-comrade
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, thanks so much for replying! So I'd suggest instead of checking league tables go to 'REF 2014' and it tells you more about each department - in terms of the quality of publications (although this way of measuring the quality of research is questionable). In terms of politics, Birkbeck is doing a lot better than Westminster on REF.
(Original post by Satyr)
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going toSo for a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

username4750946
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I thought you were the OP I would have stopped replying if I realised.
(Original post by bloomer36)
No. Birkbeck chose not to be on the ranking tables.
bloomer36
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Satyr)
I thought you were the OP I would have stopped replying if I realised.
Huh

What has that got to do with anything lol
Axis_mundis
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Satyr)
Birkbeck *chose* to not take part in the league tables. It does however take part in global rankings: THE, QS, ARWU. And over there it is way above Westminster both generally and as far as Politics is concerned.

There's a reason it's part of the University of London and Westminster isn't.
James Drew
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I did the Politics undergraduate degree at the University of Westminster and found it to be a very varied course, even though you're looking at the postgraudate options, I'm sure there are similarities to the underrgaduate course. In my experience, the lecturers are very helpful and approachable and will offer advice on your work. The modules are wide in scope. For example, my course covered international relations, contemporary and old as well as political theory and thought. So I found it well rounded.
It's also a great location to study in central London and probably one of the most central locations of a university in the city. You'll likely be based at either the Regent Street campus or the Little Titchfield Street building which are a five minute walk from one another and close to Oxford Circus Station.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.74%
The paper was reasonable (192)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.38%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
10.15%

Watched Threads