The Student Room Group

Which to choose for Politics - Birkbeck or Westminster?

I am wondering if anyone has experience of studying politics at Birkbeck or Westminster and cares to share their opinion (I would be postgraduate research but thoughts on undergrad and/or postgraduate taught welcome). I'm on the fence between both and my pros and cons list keeps growing.

For my particular field of interest, I know Birkbeck is much better in terms of what it offers, but I am wondering which is best in terms of reputation and overall quality of research produced.
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going to a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

:excited: Good luck
Original post by couscous-comrade
I am wondering if anyone has experience of studying politics at Birkbeck or Westminster and cares to share their opinion (I would be postgraduate research but thoughts on undergrad and/or postgraduate taught welcome). I'm on the fence between both and my pros and cons list keeps growing.

For my particular field of interest, I know Birkbeck is much better in terms of what it offers, but I am wondering which is best in terms of reputation and overall quality of research produced.
Original post by Satyr
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going to a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

How do you know it has a higher ranking? Birkbeck isn't even on the league tables.
If Birkbeck is not on the league table then the it is not in the top 100 meaning that Westminster has a higher ranking.
Original post by bloomer36
How do you know it has a higher ranking? Birkbeck isn't even on the league tables.
Original post by Satyr
If Birkbeck is not on the league table then the it is not in the top 100 meaning that Westminster has a higher ranking.

No. Birkbeck chose not to be on the ranking tables.
Hey, thanks so much for replying! So I'd suggest instead of checking league tables go to 'REF 2014' and it tells you more about each department - in terms of the quality of publications (although this way of measuring the quality of research is questionable). In terms of politics, Birkbeck is doing a lot better than Westminster on REF.
Original post by Satyr
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going toSo for a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

I thought you were the OP I would have stopped replying if I realised.
Original post by bloomer36
No. Birkbeck chose not to be on the ranking tables.
Original post by Satyr
I thought you were the OP I would have stopped replying if I realised.

Huh

What has that got to do with anything lol
Original post by Satyr

Birkbeck *chose* to not take part in the league tables. It does however take part in global rankings: THE, QS, ARWU. And over there it is way above Westminster both generally and as far as Politics is concerned.

There's a reason it's part of the University of London and Westminster isn't.
I did the Politics undergraduate degree at the University of Westminster and found it to be a very varied course, even though you're looking at the postgraudate options, I'm sure there are similarities to the underrgaduate course. In my experience, the lecturers are very helpful and approachable and will offer advice on your work. The modules are wide in scope. For example, my course covered international relations, contemporary and old as well as political theory and thought. So I found it well rounded.
It's also a great location to study in central London and probably one of the most central locations of a university in the city. You'll likely be based at either the Regent Street campus or the Little Titchfield Street building which are a five minute walk from one another and close to Oxford Circus Station.
Agree with James that Westminster's location is good. Meanwhile, so is Birkbeck. Both are close to the political heart of London. In this perspective, I believe Birkbeck is slightly better; it's in Russell Square in Bloomsbury, circled by UoL Senate House and other UoL brother colleges, including LSE, SOAS and UCL, and King's is just a while's walk. Birkbeck fellows are welcome to use the resources there, engage with that community and easier to join their activities, which are somehow significant to ones who are studying politics.

Upstairs '4750946' is spreading nonsense things about Birkbeck's rankings, and good to see Bloomer and Axis are providing correct clarification. For example, according to THE2022 'Politics & International Studies', Birkbeck is ranked 30+, while Westminster is 80+; in terms of 'research' and 'citation', Birkbeck's scores are double of Westminster in both indicators.

Quick Reply

Latest