Which to choose for Politics - Birkbeck or Westminster? Watch

couscous-comrade
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am wondering if anyone has experience of studying politics at Birkbeck or Westminster and cares to share their opinion (I would be postgraduate research but thoughts on undergrad and/or postgraduate taught welcome). I'm on the fence between both and my pros and cons list keeps growing.

For my particular field of interest, I know Birkbeck is much better in terms of what it offers, but I am wondering which is best in terms of reputation and overall quality of research produced.
Satyr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going to a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

:excited: Good luck
(Original post by couscous-comrade)
I am wondering if anyone has experience of studying politics at Birkbeck or Westminster and cares to share their opinion (I would be postgraduate research but thoughts on undergrad and/or postgraduate taught welcome). I'm on the fence between both and my pros and cons list keeps growing.

For my particular field of interest, I know Birkbeck is much better in terms of what it offers, but I am wondering which is best in terms of reputation and overall quality of research produced.
bloomer36
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Satyr)
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going to a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

How do you know it has a higher ranking? Birkbeck isn't even on the league tables.
Satyr
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If Birkbeck is not on the league table then the it is not in the top 100 meaning that Westminster has a higher ranking.
(Original post by bloomer36)
How do you know it has a higher ranking? Birkbeck isn't even on the league tables.
bloomer36
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Satyr)
If Birkbeck is not on the league table then the it is not in the top 100 meaning that Westminster has a higher ranking.
No. Birkbeck chose not to be on the ranking tables.
couscous-comrade
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey, thanks so much for replying! So I'd suggest instead of checking league tables go to 'REF 2014' and it tells you more about each department - in terms of the quality of publications (although this way of measuring the quality of research is questionable). In terms of politics, Birkbeck is doing a lot better than Westminster on REF.
(Original post by Satyr)
Westminster has a higher ranking in the UK tables that means that the ranking company has taken into account every factor for a student and ranked the collages accordingly; however in the end I suggest going toSo for a uni which is more convenient for you so you can live at home and attend the uni or the one which costs less to get housing near.

Satyr
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I thought you were the OP I would have stopped replying if I realised.
(Original post by bloomer36)
No. Birkbeck chose not to be on the ranking tables.
bloomer36
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Satyr)
I thought you were the OP I would have stopped replying if I realised.
Huh

What has that got to do with anything lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads