Could someone give me an advice please? Watch

Ioanna Bojinova
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi guys, I'm having a bit confused over here..

The thing is from Sept I'll start a Sixth Form College, but my parents want to know what I'll do after I finish college. I find it difficult to choose what I want to work as and study in uni after college. I know there is time, but I have a lot of things I like, and they are all connected to science. Can you give me an advice on how I can choose what is right for me? I am not asking for someone to choose instead of me, just for an advice.

Thanks =)
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Ioanna Bojinova)
Hi guys, I'm having a bit confused over here..

The thing is from Sept I'll start a Sixth Form College, but my parents want to know what I'll do after I finish college. I find it difficult to choose what I want to work as and study in uni after college. I know there is time, but I have a lot of things I like, and they are all connected to science. Can you give me an advice on how I can choose what is right for me? I am not asking for someone to choose instead of me, just for an advice.

Thanks =)
Do you want to go to university?

If so just keep an idea of what your favorite subjects are and the degrees those are linked to. Start of Y12 you have so much time.

Through year 12 I changed idea of what degree I wanted like 5 times
Melilqlq
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey there,

In my case, my parents were guiding me towards a career (healthcare), different to my initial interests (law), however, I proceeded to do science at college and although I had no particular idea of a career, I also chose to do sciences at university. Now that I am graduating, I found myself leaning towards healthcare management or science communications. Basically, what I am trying to say is that I had no idea what exactly I wanted to become and my career ideas were fluctuating throughout college and uni, but throughout the years I learned about careers that I never even knew existed. So, sometimes is better to go with the flow and learn what your exact interests and passion are. It's also useful to analyse your skills ( it might be a bit early at GSCE tho, but maybe throughout college). I, for example, determined that I am really keen on organisation and planning but I also have a particular interest in neuroscience, so a combination of those would be the ideal career for me. Of course, sometimes we can't make our parents happy, and mine are still confused about what career I will be taking on, but for me its most important what I enjoy doing, even if it's something that my parents don't really understand. I know a lot of students opt-in for the medicine to become doctors, just to have that "title" in front of people, but don't genuinely have that passion - so don't go for something you truly don't want. I hope that helps!
xipo7101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Just finish Y12 and try to put an equal amount of effort in each subject.
By the end you will definitely know which subjects you enjoy and which not so much.
However i didn't enjoy chemistry but got highest grade in it, i was naturally good at it but still pursued career which needs physics and maths ( aerospace engineering), because i figured out after 2 months in y12 that i love physics and maths.
Ioanna Bojinova
Rep:
?
(Original post by Melilqlq)
Hey there,

In my case, my parents were guiding me towards a career (healthcare), different to my initial interests (law), however, I proceeded to do science at college and although I had no particular idea of a career, I also chose to do sciences at university. Now that I am graduating, I found myself leaning towards healthcare management or science communications. Basically, what I am trying to say is that I had no idea what exactly I wanted to become and my career ideas were fluctuating throughout college and uni, but throughout the years I learned about careers that I never even knew existed. So, sometimes is better to go with the flow and learn what your exact interests and passion are. It's also useful to analyse your skills ( it might be a bit early at GSCE tho, but maybe throughout college). I, for example, determined that I am really keen on organisation and planning but I also have a particular interest in neuroscience, so a combination of those would be the ideal career for me. Of course, sometimes we can't make our parents happy, and mine are still confused about what career I will be taking on, but for me its most important what I enjoy doing, even if it's something that my parents don't really understand. I know a lot of students opt-in for the medicine to become doctors, just to have that "title" in front of people, but don't genuinely have that passion - so don't go for something you truly don't want. I hope that helps!
Thank you so much. I am coming from Bulgaria and I came on time for the GCSEs. Back in Bulgaria I was an ecologist but also a scientist in training (because of the school i was in), so that is one of the things that I know the most. Thank you. I will wait for time to show me everything.
Ioanna Bojinova
Rep:
?
(Original post by xipo7101)
Just finish Y12 and try to put an equal amount of effort in each subject.
By the end you will definitely know which subjects you enjoy and which not so much.
However i didn't enjoy chemistry but got highest grade in it, i was naturally good at it but still pursued career which needs physics and maths ( aerospace engineering), because i figured out after 2 months in y12 that i love physics and maths.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads