As.1997
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Could someone please explain what the end bit of the solution is talking about?
It says, "A, B, C give 3 new combinations, AB, AC, BC give 3 new combinations, plus the new flavour itself".

Name:  4.png
Views: 19
Size:  344.9 KB
Skylar.J
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So having only 3 flavours ( we will call then a,b,c) your combinations are:

A; b; c; ab; ac; bc; abc

Total 7 combinations

Having 4 flavours now ( a,b,c,d), the combinations are:

A; b; c; d; ab; ac; ad; bc; bd; cd; abc; abd; acd; bcd

Total of 14 combinations

The combinations that are not included in the first set are the extra dishes needed, which are basically the combinations with the flavour ‘d’

So d; ad; bd; cd; acd; abd; bcd

Which is 7 dishes or if you do 14-7=7

I think what it meant by 3 +3+1 is that there are 3 extra combinations that has 3 flavours and 2 flavours and 1 extra combination with 1 flavour.

Hope this is useful 😄
Skylar.J
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A, B, C give 3 new combinations means

Ad, bd, cd

Ab, Ac, Bc gives 3 new combinations means

Abd, acd, bcd

Plus a new flavour itself means

D
As.1997
Rep:
?
Are you a genius?

(thanks mate)
(Original post by Moonyx)
A, B, C give 3 new combinations means

Ad, bd, cd

Ab, Ac, Bc gives 3 new combinations means

Abd, acd, bcd

Plus a new flavour itself means

D
As.1997
Rep:
?
Also, logically we can assume for example Ad and dA are the same thing, hence why we don't have a lot more combinations.
Skylar.J
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
When r u sitting the exam
Skylar.J
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Im preparing for the UCAT exam as well coz mine is literally in less than 2 weeks. Good luck in yours
As.1997
Rep:
?
Im preparing for the UCAT exam as well coz mine is literally in less than 2 weeks. Good luck in yours
I need a lot longer as I’m working so perhaps I’ll book it for 6-8weeks. Why don’t we work together?
As.1997
Rep:
?
Feel free to send questions that you’re stuck with and I’ll try my best to help. And good luck with yours too
Pinkxyz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Need a little help here! I’m confused. This question says 20 had both starfish and dolphins and 7 had all three. Doesn’t this mean that (20-7) would give the number that had ONLY starfish and white dolphins? If so why have they put 20 in the shared compartment between starfish and white dolphins without subtracting 7??
Attached files
As.1997
Rep:
?
Hey, I find it a little bit difficult to understand what your asking (please do not get offended). For example, you mentioned 20-7=13, but this doesn't mean anything meaningful (again not trying to be offensive, just trying to help you see it from my point of view). You are taking away the region enclosed by starfish and dolphin with the region enclosed by all three (starfish, dolphin, yellow crab). Please do not do that.

Please watch this youtube video showing exactly how to tackle this type of Venn diagram question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=MassxXy8iko

Once you've understood that, feel free to ask me more questions if you need help. I can try explaining any bits further if you would like.
(Original post by Pinkxyz)
Need a little help here! I’m confused. This question says 20 had both starfish and dolphins and 7 had all three. Doesn’t this mean that (20-7) would give the number that had ONLY starfish and white dolphins? If so why have they put 20 in the shared compartment between starfish and white dolphins without subtracting 7??
Skylar.J
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So i think what it meant was that 20 only had star fish and white dolphins and same with the combinations that has 12 and 9.

I would say the question should have been worded better. As i would have probably be tempted to draw a venn diagram with 13, 2 and 5 instead of 20,9,12. But i think the anwser came up would be too big that it wouldnt be in the options list. It would have wasted time in the actual thing though.
Pinkxyz
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by As.1997)
Hey, I find it a little bit difficult to understand what your asking (please do not get offended). For example, you mentioned 20-7=13, but this doesn't mean anything meaningful (again not trying to be offensive, just trying to help you see it from my point of view). You are taking away the region enclosed by starfish and dolphin with the region enclosed by all three (starfish, dolphin, yellow crab). Please do not do that.

Please watch this youtube video showing exactly how to tackle this type of Venn diagram question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=MassxXy8iko

Once you've understood that, feel free to ask me more questions if you need help. I can try explaining any bits further if you would like.
No worries! It’s just that from what I know, if “only” is not included then you have to subtract the number of all three from the total number of the two (in this case dolphins and starfish) if the question had said ONLY 20 had star fish and dolphins then no need to subtract. Will watch the video
As.1997
Rep:
?
Hey, I have just realised you are right. There is something wrong with this question. I'm currently trying to figure it out myself but will let you know when I get it
(Original post by Pinkxyz)
No worries! It’s just that from what I know, if “only” is not included then you have to subtract the number of all three from the total number of the two (in this case dolphins and starfish) if the question had said ONLY 20 had star fish and dolphins then no need to subtract. Will watch the video
Pinkxyz
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks
(Original post by As.1997)
Hey, I have just realised you are right. There is something wrong with this question. I'm currently trying to figure it out myself but will let you know when I get it
As.1997
Rep:
?
Alright, I agree with a previous comment made. It is just badly worded. It should have said/used only. Ie “only 20 had starfish and white dolphins, only 12 had both white dolphins and yellow crabs, only 9 had both starfish and yellow crabs...”. If it had worded it like this you and I would have done the question exactly how it is laid out in the solution.

Sorry if I’ve been no help but hopefully I’ve reassured you that you were right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (11)
8.27%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (14)
10.53%
No, but maybe I will look into it (38)
28.57%
No and I wouldn't consider it (70)
52.63%

Watched Threads