is chem hard

is it useful

shall I do it I'm still in yr 9
xipo7101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did maths phys and chem. Chem was completely useless for maths and helped with just one chapter in physics, so doesn't go well with those subjects.
All my biology friends said it goes well with biology.

Nahh i think many people overhype it its not so bad, it has 3 branches physical organic inorganic.
Physical requires a lot of practice and it's mostly maths and logic (basically a bit like physics) it requires GCSE maths knowledge and just a bit of a level maths called logarithms ( one of the easiest a level maths topics so you will be fine).
Organic chemistry is basically a memory test with a bit of logic.
Inorganic is pure memory test.

It was completely useless for my career choice ( aerospace engineering), but it is useful in medicine, biochemistry, biology something on those lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xUAe0HASI this video might help.
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stay the duck away from it.
Ligretto Cowboy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Subjects that go well with Chem
I strongly suggest Biology since in Chem, you learn about the catalytic properties of enzymes and some DNA stuffs. I didn’t take Bio but it was nice to know how DNA replication works, and also interesting facts about electrophoresis (separating proteins).
Physics? A bit I’d say. The atomic Chem was helpful as you learn about fundamental particles which is quite handy in Nuclear Physics. Seems trivial but it still has some effects. But understanding Physics will help you understand Chemistry better I’d say as in electrochemistry.

Difficulty
IMO, the calculations are easy as hell. So, physical is not worth mentioning at A-levels unless you’re doing Chem Olympiad. The one I find challenging is organic reactions. I just can’t deal with halogenoalkanes since they require memorisation and no specific formula. The benzene rings are fun tho. The organic synthesis can be tricky. But it’s not as challenging as proton NMR for me (Google it if you wanna dig something). Inorganic is fine unless some exceptions about the reactions come up.

Useful?
Well, for medicine, it’s obviously a prerequisite. It also prepares you as a scientist through the practical skills. In the end, the steps required in carrying out experiments become quite intuitive as you master Chem. I’m better at making alcohols than making a cup of tea that satisfies my grandma. I think Chem opens more opportunities if you wanna take the science stream or something related but not so much for some types of engineering, according to my friend.

So, I like Chemistry, hoping to get my A, (A* would be better lol), but still I chose Physics over Chem for uni. Last piece of advice, TAKE MATHS! (It’s lovely).
Last edited by Ligretto Cowboy; 1 year ago
username2775496
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Chemistry goes with many subjects, I took it with Bio and Music. The actual content isn’t too bad, it’s just that the grade boundaries are very high and unforgiving (I did OCR A, I don’t know if this applies to other exam boards) The jump from GCSE to A Level is pretty steep so don’t expect to understand all the concepts immediately to start with. You’ll quickly learn that GCSE chemistry simplified many concepts a lot.
p_helena
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly I don't regret doing A-Level Chemistry but holy moly I found it hard! As someone who isn't naturally amazing at maths, the actual calculations you have to do aren't too bad in themselves- the issue is remembering what calculation to use for each circumstance.

Organic chemistry was my best topic (partly because I've got a slight tendency of photographic memory), but it is entirely a memory test. Certain things in Organic can't be solved with logic- the reagents are often incredibly specific. If in doubt, put NaBH4 or hot phosphoric acid

Physical chemistry was difficult for me mainly because Paper 1 was pure evil this year (thankfully revised everything that came up but it was still challenging), and also because there are often curveball questions where you can't get past the 2nd step of calculations *facepalm*.

I did Biology and doing even AS Chemistry reeaaalllllyyy helped with Bio. Everything to do with amino acids, carbohydrates etc. made so much more sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed