Institutional Abuse at Universities Watch

montana2019
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Why do Universities institutionally abuse their students when things go wrong?

Why are University students not protected? And the University is hence free to continue its abuse?

Why is the sector designed against the students and designed in bias favour of Universities?

We also have our Human Right to Education which Universities additionally breach aside our consumer rights, however, Universities seem to be above the law for some reason.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Multiple citations needed.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by montana2019)

Why are University students not protected? And the University is hence free to continue its abuse?

Why is the sector designed against the students and designed in bias favour of Universities?

We also have our Human Right to Education which Universities additionally breach aside our consumer rights, however, Universities seem to be above the law for some reason.
You really need to clarify each point and back up your claims otherwise you look like the incel version of university students.
No one will understand your points without sufficient explanation.
No one with a brain will accept your points with sufficient proof.
montana2019
Rep:
?
For example:

Initially, a student is afraid of raising concerns about serious malpractice taking place at University and understandbly due to fears of being victimised as a result of this.

However, once the student formally (with supporting evidence) raises these concerns, the student is victimised by the University acting in its own interest (and not that of the student) and hence in defence of the breaches of policy that the student had raised.

Students are not protected and Universities are hence free to continue their abuse.

Regrettably, the sector is designed against students and the conflicts of interest presented in the sector are self explanatory which include the independency (in question) of the OIA who are in fact funded by Universities have have been since 2004 and since students began to pay for tuition fees.

In addition, if a student makes a disclosure under a University’s Public Interest Disclosure Procedure - they are legally not protected under the Public Interest Disclosure Act.

As such, students are not in fact protected and the law is in fact their only protection.

The sector needs to do more to protect students and their interests.

I hope the above helps you understand the wider picture somewhat better.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For example:

Initially, a student is afraid of raising concerns about serious malpractice taking place at University and understandbly due to fears of being victimised as a result of this.

However, once the student formally (with supporting evidence) raises these concerns, the student is victimised by the University acting in its own interest (and not that of the student) and hence in defence of the breaches of policy that the student had raised.

Students are not protected and Universities are hence free to continue their abuse.

Regrettably, the sector is designed against students and the conflicts of interest presented in the sector are self explanatory which include the independency (in question) of the OIA who are in fact funded by Universities have have been since 2004 and since students began to pay for tuition fees.

In addition, if a student makes a disclosure under a University’s Public Interest Disclosure Procedure - they are legally not protected under the Public Interest Disclosure Act.

As such, students are not in fact protected and the law is in fact their only protection.

The sector needs to do more to protect students and their interests.

I hope the above helps you understand the wider picture somewhat better.
I still feel you need to clarify further, can you provide a more detailed account of the malpractice, which uni & a full story?

I don't think many students feel this is an issue, or that this is considered a serious problem. Often some Universities bend over backwards to help students, its very dependant on a case by case basis
Den Den
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

What was that?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
montana2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
I still feel you need to clarify further, can you provide a more detailed account of the malpractice, which uni & a full story?

I don't think many students feel this is an issue, or that this is considered a serious problem. Often some Universities bend over backwards to help students, its very dependant on a case by case basis
It is a wider issue and many students are indeed faced with serious calamities at University. I am mainly referring to serious malpractice which could cover several areas, such as: sexual, psychological and physical abuse (as well as the concealment of such incidents) and hence crimes that are taking place at Universities.

These may have been committed by staff or students though my point particularly relates to cases where the matter involves staff who have failed in their duty or breached policy and as such, I agree when you say that it is most definitely very dependent on a case by case basis.

That said, I appreciate that some Universities may bend over backwards to help students. However, many also fail and it is this behaviour that should not be allowed or accepted to continue to take place at any University and students need more protection should they find themselves in this position.

Students are vulnerable, they pay significant amounts of money as consumers and are investing in their future and when something goes wrong - students suffer severe psychological injury and later develop mental health conditions (and some even take their own life) and more independent help is needed to help protect students from all forms of institutional abuse and bullying.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is a wider issue and many students are indeed faced with serious calamities at University. I am mainly referring to serious malpractice which could cover several areas, such as: sexual, psychological and physical abuse (as well as the concealment of such incidents) and hence crimes that are taking place at Universities.

These may have been committed by staff or students though my point particularly relates to cases where the matter involves staff who have failed in their duty or breached policy and as such, I agree when you say that it is most definitely very dependent on a case by case basis.

That said, I appreciate that some Universities may bend over backwards to help students. However, many also fail and it is this behaviour that should not be allowed or accepted to continue to take place at any University and students need more protection should they find themselves in this position.

Students are vulnerable, they pay significant amounts of money as consumers and are investing in their future and when something goes wrong - students suffer severe psychological injury and later develop mental health conditions (and some even take their own life) and more independent help is needed to help protect students from all forms of institutional abuse and bullying.
The issues you are talking about i think most Universities take this stuff extremely seriously, just look at the Warwick group chat case, or the halls chant in Nottingham Trent. Most of this stuff is between students ie outside of the education yet SU's & Universities still step in & provide support and counselling and normally take immediate action sometimes going beyond action taken beyond what the police do, i think if you are aware of a specific malpractice case you should take this to the police. And you should name Universities with evidence if you think this is a serious issue especially if this occurred on University grounds.
montana2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
The issues you are talking about i think most Universities take this stuff extremely seriously, just look at the Warwick group chat case, or the halls chant in Nottingham Trent. Most of this stuff is between students ie outside of the education yet SU's & Universities still step in & provide support and counselling and normally take immediate action sometimes going beyond action taken beyond what the police do, i think if you are aware of a specific malpractice case you should take this to the police. And you should name Universities with evidence if you think this is a serious issue especially if this occurred on University grounds.
The issues I refer to are those particularly involving staff (not students) and institutional abuse at Universities.

Should any establishment be in question, it will do all it can do defend itself and its reputation. Regrettably, a University is no different and should it be in this position - I assure you that it is not the students best interest which are considered first.

The content and material of such cases are confidential and therefore, I would not expect any regular person to be able to comment on whether SU's & Universities across the country in fact step in (etc.) or not and take immediate action or go beyond that taken by the Police.

Personally, I am aware of several cases where Universities have in fact concealed and hid material from the Police.

As such, students deserve more protection and should they find themselves in a conflicted position at University, is it imperative that independent help is provided to make certain that students are not disadvantaged and are hence protected from all forms of institutional abuse and bullying.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The issues I refer to are those particularly involving staff (not students) and institutional abuse at Universities.

Should any establishment be in question, it will do all it can do defend itself and its reputation. Regrettably, a University is no different and should it be in this position - I assure you that it is not the students best interest which are considered first.

The content and material of such cases are confidential and therefore, I would not expect any regular person to be able to comment on whether SU's & Universities across the country in fact step in (etc.) or not and take immediate action or go beyond that taken by the Police.

Personally, I am aware of several cases where Universities have in fact concealed and hid material from the Police.

As such, students deserve more protection and should they find themselves in a conflicted position at University, is it imperative that independent help is provided to make certain that students are not disadvantaged and are hence protected from all forms of institutional abuse and bullying.
If your information is accurate then go to the police and show them your evidence, if there is any validity to your claims a number of lawsuits would be filed and no doubt all senior University staff would be subpoenaed and a huge investigation taken out of the hands of the University would ensue. There are strict rules about information which must be held (its normally 10 years) and if the information has been tampered with/removed etc. it could easily be discovered. Particularly as Universities are heavily state funded, they would have no choice but to comply with any investigation.
montana2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
If your information is accurate then go to the police and show them your evidence, if there is any validity to your claims a number of lawsuits would be filed and no doubt all senior University staff would be subpoenaed and a huge investigation taken out of the hands of the University would ensue. There are strict rules about information which must be held (its normally 10 years) and if the information has been tampered with/removed etc. it could easily be discovered. Particularly as Universities are heavily state funded, they would have no choice but to comply with any investigation.
I agree that any matter that is in the public interest should be reported to the Police and in regards to information being held, it depends on the information really as CCTV for example is not retained for 10 years though the University will have to comply with the Police investigation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads