Josh2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok so I currently have a major dilemma. I’ve always wanted to do something finance/economics related at university but as I’ve looked around more and more it’s become very quickly apparent that you need a Maths A Level at least an A to get into a top uni. I have never got the best grades at maths but I mainly put that down to put my teacher who was abysmal. I would expect to get a 6 in maths at GCSE and while this would allow me to do a level maths I don’t know how much it would hold me back . Following this I looked around and thought I would do PPE which would allow me to do elements of economics without a maths a level however through further looking it seems it is incredibly unlikely to get into a top uni doing PPE without a maths a level despite the fact it is not required(At least not at Oxford). Now I don’t if I want to really try and push myself to try and get an A at a level if it would even be possible. I would also like to consider the US and as A Levels aren’t truly recognised over there would it be possible to do economics over there without Maths A Level. Of course doing Maths A Level would also help with the SAT test should I choose to go to a us Uni. I am currently planning on doing Geography,Economics, Bilogy and a level 3 maths course. So what I’m asking is would the level 3 maths course be enough to do PPE in the uk and enough to help me do well in the PPE or should I just push through and try my best to do Maths A level. Would it be a good idea to do these all at the start of my first year and then gauge the difficulty of a level maths.i would also like to add I play squash at a high level and if anyone knows what level would be required to get a scholarship in the us(ie top 5,top 10 in England etc). I get this is a huge message but I would really appreciate any feedback to help me in my dilemma!
Cheers
Last edited by Josh2002; 2 years ago
mathsstudentzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i mean if you wanna do maths and your doing edexcel i would say be very careful like there has been 3 consecutive paper leaks in the past 3 years and the exam are hard as **** but it is doable but if you wanna do finance do further maths as it helps with your maths otherwise you will mess up like most people this year and be forced to make diss tracks on edexcel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjX_aOEWmE4
good luck mate
Skylar.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi! In doing maths A level edexcel and from experience, first year (L6) of a level maths is halfly consolidating Previous years’ stuff with some new bits. If you can consolidate gcse stuff over the summer, the first part of the course will not be too hard. This will give you time to develop skills in maths for the second year. I have people in my set who started off cant do algebra well, but they caught up in the first term pretty soon.
Maths a level is pretty useful as an a level choice.
I also do biology a level as well. It is interesting but quite a lot of information needing for memorising. The stuff arent that hard but its the vilume of stuff we needed to learn. It may differ from exam boards though, i do OCR
eternal123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most schools/colleges will have a grace period in which you are able to change your a levels. This means that if you decide you don’t want to do a subject after a couple weeks you can change to another subject you think you would prefer and catch up on the weeks you have missed. I know a few people who have done this. Also I have heard a lot about how difficult it is with student debt if you go to a US college. This is because of the interest rates and you have to pay it back unlike the UK system where you have to earn over a certain amount before you even start to pay it back. I do not know much about it though so don’t let my comments on the US stop you from applying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (27)
17.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
31.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (15)
9.62%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
10.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.49%
I think it's an unfair expectation (39)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.92%

Watched Threads