Lockthedoor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Good afternoon all, new user here.

I have a civil service interview scheduled for Thursday. Grade 7, so fairly senior position. Needless to say, I am very surprised I was offered an interview, as I have never worked nor applied for the civil service, so the entire format is new to me.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions and I hope someone who has experienced similar issues in the past might be able to shed some light.

1. The job ad specified 5 competencies, and was told I would be tested against them. Would it be wise to prepare for the other competencies as well, in case they ask?
2. I was told I would need to make a presentation on a topic that will be assigned on the day. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. If someone has gone through this, my question is: will the presentation be about a policy area covered by the department (thus testing my technical knowledge) or will it be on an unrelated topic (for example, presenting on a research project I have conducted)?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lockthedoor)
Good afternoon all, new user here.

I have a civil service interview scheduled for Thursday. Grade 7, so fairly senior position. Needless to say, I am very surprised I was offered an interview, as I have never worked nor applied for the civil service, so the entire format is new to me.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions and I hope someone who has experienced similar issues in the past might be able to shed some light.

1. The job ad specified 5 competencies, and was told I would be tested against them. Would it be wise to prepare for the other competencies as well, in case they ask?
2. I was told I would need to make a presentation on a topic that will be assigned on the day. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. If someone has gone through this, my question is: will the presentation be about a policy area covered by the department (thus testing my technical knowledge) or will it be on an unrelated topic (for example, presenting on a research project I have conducted)?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help
Hey, sorry you've not had an answer to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon

I don't have experience with the civil service myself, but generally speaking I'd suggest having some level of preparation for additional competencies, just in case!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (241)
66.39%
No (122)
33.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise