Asking lecturers for references? Watch

ace1026
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So, to my surprise I actually am qualified to move on to postgrad! (year's been a bit rough and I was wondering whether or not I would but fortunately hard work paid off!)

As a result, I'm already planning to apply for the LPC part-time to five different universities. But I'm not exactly a chatter and I'm really nervous about asking for references right now. I wanted to ask if anyone knew how to a lecturer for a reference? Like is there anything you should include in the e-mail, course details or university details? And if I'm applying to five unis, do you think it's fine to ask them to be a reference for all of them?
JindleBrey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I wasn't the best student during my undergrad and I felt very awkward about asking for a reference. I ended up asking one who didn't really know me. I just said where I'm applying to, what modules I had with them, and also asked if they needed further information to write the reference ( such as personal statement/CV). You'll be fine, if I managed to get one you certainly will!
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 2 weeks ago
did you not have a personal tutor? pretty sure that's your go-to person for a reference. they expect to do it as part of their job; won't be surprised when you ask
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ace1026)
So, to my surprise I actually am qualified to move on to postgrad! (year's been a bit rough and I was wondering whether or not I would but fortunately hard work paid off!)

As a result, I'm already planning to apply for the LPC part-time to five different universities. But I'm not exactly a chatter and I'm really nervous about asking for references right now. I wanted to ask if anyone knew how to a lecturer for a reference? Like is there anything you should include in the e-mail, course details or university details? And if I'm applying to five unis, do you think it's fine to ask them to be a reference for all of them?
So i have done this a couple times below is the email i wrote to my lecturer with a few details edited out for obvious reasons, as you are applying for the LPC just use the same format but put the full title where i put the project title. Just something simple like this, most academics get asked to do this a couple times a year and are familiar with the procedure.

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for the feedback and opportunity to test the XXXXX with my group whilst working on XXXX last semester.
I am applying for a PhD at XXXXX to start next year looking into XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Title: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I am required to provide 2 academic references. I was hoping after working on your module last semester you would be able to provide one?

Thank you for any consideration.

Kind regards,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Last edited by mnot; 2 weeks ago
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Shoot an email to whoever, make it somewhat polite. It isn't a big deal and don't overthink it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads