This discussion is closed.
Dom F
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(from uk.education.governors)...

"socrates" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I think that the heavy-handed attitude in the replies that Dom received equate fairly closely to[/q1]
[q1]> the attitude of his friend's school. His original post was IMHO more considered than the replies[/q1]
[q1]> he received -- especially when one considers his age. I know the school at which I am a governor[/q1]
would
[q1]> take exactly the same attitude, regardless of circumstances, but I believe that to treat all drugs[/q1]
[q1]> cases as the same is short-sighted and will lead,[/q1]
as
[q1]> Dom says, to worse things happening.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I think selling drugs at school is absolutely wrong, but that does not[/q1]
mean
[q1]> that there is only one way to treat the problem. Nor is the patronising[/q1]
way
[q1]> some answered Dom the way to get teenagers to respect 'authority'.[/q1]

Thanks for this. I think the responses to it more-or-less demonstrate my point. I am guessing from
the replies, that these people have presumed I have very scarce knowledge of the subject, whereas
this is not true. My mum is a school teacher, and dad a trustee director of a drugs charity, and I
far prefer to read the information from the Home Office, DPAS, Drugscope or the local DAT teams than
the opinionated versions of this information that is reported in the news.

In response to a few things said (by various people):

[q1]> Research proves a link between drug addiction and violent crime.[/q1]

The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs disagree. Firstly, whereas both alcohol and cannabis can
affect motor skills, cannabis does not increase risk-taking behaviour, and does not induce violent
behaviour as alcohol does. From the March 2002 report: "..cannabis rarely contributes to violence
either to others or to oneself.". Secondly, there is no evidence of physical addiction to cannabis.
The only kind of 'addiction' to the drug is related to the pleasure it gives, with this addiction
level ranked well below nicotine and alcohol.

[q1]>Perhaps I should sell drugs to my Year 10 class...after all they will get them somewhere else if[/q1]
[q1]>I don't [/q1]

People who want to buy drugs in schools will buy them regardless of who is excluded and who isn't.
People who don't want to buy them will not. It's a matter of choice. Perhaps not in other schools,
but here it is so.

[q1]>I'd also be concerned at the effect on the education of all the youngsters who were taking and the[/q1]
[q1]>bullying / peer pressure issues around the stuff being on site.[/q1]

Again, it's a matter of choice. As for the issues of the 'stuff being on site', you would be wrong
to think that drugs can be kept out of any school. I won't mention the name, but this is by no means
a 'failing' school.. this is a top grammar school. My point being, no matter who you remove, you
will never remove the problem by using exclusion.

I do not agree that it is right to sell drugs on school premises, nor that it is right to use them
within school. It does happen, and will always happen while school's continue to believe they can
solve the problem with a 'zero tolerance' policy that moves the people who need help to worse
schools, and does not even slightly change the amount of drugs being sold within the school.

Regards, Dom F, MCP (Win2000, Win98)
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 19 May 2002 21:41:45 +0100, "Dom F"
[q2]>>Perhaps I should sell drugs to my Year 10 class...after all they will get them somewhere else if I[/q2]
[q2]>>don't [/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>People who want to buy drugs in schools will buy them regardless of who is excluded and who isn't.[/q1]
[q1]>People who don't want to buy them will not. It's a matter of choice. Perhaps not in other schools,[/q1]
[q1]>but here it is so.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Actually I am not that happy about cigarettes being sold at school although 7 out of 10 retail
outlets sell to underage smokers. The argument "If I didn't sell them someone else would" will not
have gone down well with the governors.

If you know the names and addresses of other pupils who sell drugs in the school (which does not
excuse your friend now does it) then why have you not told the governors their names and addresses?

**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 24 04 2002
Dom F
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> If you know the names and addresses of other pupils who sell drugs in the school (which does not[/q1]
[q1]> excuse your friend now does it) then why have you not told the governors their names and[/q1]
[q1]> addresses?[/q1]

I think you will find that this is simply not done - be it in school or anywhere. Mostly because the
people at the top who are selling the drugs are dangerous people. I find it hard to believe that the
school are not aware of the people involved that they have chosen not to deal with.

Dom
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Mon, 20 May 2002 16:33:58 +0100, "Dom F" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>I think you will find that this is simply not done - be it in school or anywhere.[/q1]

My dear fellow I think you will find that selling drugs is "simply not done" either. You assume the
school know all about it so don't tell them?

________________________________ _

**** user1951.tripod.com **** Resources about films...Lara Croft... Jack
London...Shakespear...Marxism... postmodernism...and the odd joke.
Dom F
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >I think you will find that this is simply not done - be it in school or anywhere.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> My dear fellow I think you will find that selling drugs is "simply not done" either. You assume[/q1]
[q1]> the school know all about it so don't tell them?[/q1]

No, I assume I will suffer enormous retribution if I did. This is the case in schools, and also
the case in the larger world of drug dealers - and a problem that the police find when
interviewing witnesses. I'm afraid that the selling of drugs is done in schools whether people
like that fact or not.

Dom F
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Mon, 20 May 2002 20:08:58 +0100, "Dom F" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>No, I assume I will suffer enormous retribution if I did. This is the case in schools, and also[/q1]
[q1]>the case in the larger world of drug dealers - and a problem that the police find when[/q1]
[q1]>interviewing witnesses. I'm afraid that the selling of drugs is done in schools whether people[/q1]
[q1]>like that fact or not.[/q1]

This is odd considering how "harmless" we are being told these drugs are. I think the story needs to
be straighter than that if you are to stand a chance

Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
last updated 24 04 2002
Dom F
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"User 1951" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> On Mon, 20 May 2002 20:08:58 +0100, "Dom F" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >No, I assume I will suffer enormous retribution if I did. This is the[/q2]
case
[q2]> >in schools, and also the case in the larger world of drug dealers - and a problem that the police[/q2]
[q2]> >find when interviewing witnesses. I'm afraid that the selling of drugs is done in schools whether[/q2]
[q2]> >people like that fact or not.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> This is odd considering how "harmless" we are being told these drugs are. I think the story needs[/q1]
[q1]> to be straighter than that if you are to stand a chance [/q1]

For what it's worth - cannabis is fairly harmless - the drugs that these people are selling, for
example heroin and ecstasy, are certainly not harmless. Remember we're talking about the people at
the heart of the problem here.

Dom.
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 21 May 2002 18:29:43 +0100, "Dom F" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>For what it's worth - cannabis is fairly harmless[/q1]

Marginally more carcinogenic than tobacco in fact.
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
last updated 24 04 2002
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (293)
34.15%
No (565)
65.85%

Watched Threads