How should I remedy hay fever? Watch

Derxert
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Lately, my hay fever has been out of control and is effecting my sleep, and day-to-day life.

I have a dry throat, really itchy eyes and snot and blocked noses.
I can't sleep for hours and the itchiness is distracting me from important classes.

What should I do?
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Derxert)
Lately, my hay fever has been out of control and is effecting my sleep, and day-to-day life.

I can't sleep for hours and the itchiness is distracting me from important classes.

What should I do?
I take a hayfever tablet and that helps but the pollen has been stupidly high lately.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

What should I do?
You can take an antihistamine, perhaps a nasal spray and use some drops at the same time.
naem071
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

What should I do?
Beclometasone nasal spray works well, though it takes around a week to start showing an improvement. Take your regular antihistamines along side - you can take more than one a day quite safely if you need to, I take two and it works well but don't go beyond this without consulting a pharmacist. You could ask your GP for fexofenadine, but I found there to be no real difference to the standard cetirizine/loratadine tablets but this could be different for you. I also recommend applying a tiny bit of vaseline along the inside of your nostrils in the morning and at regular intervals when outside.
heidigirl1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
-Antihistamine. If loratadine/cetirizine once a day ones don't do anything for you, there are stronger ones available OTC that you can take every few hours-Piriton (which contains chlorphenamine and is usually also available as cheaper own brand in shops) and Benadryl (brand only so more expensive). You have to ask for these at the pharmacy counter and they are more likely to cause drowsiness.
-You can also try eyedrops and a steroid nasal spray. You can ask a pharmacist for recommendations.
-If these don't work, then see your GP.

I didn't find cetirizine/loratadine had any affect at all, and my main problem was it setting my asthma off-so coughing more than sneezing/itchy eyes (though I do get them) so eyedrops and nasal spray wouldn't have helped my main issue. I take chlorphenamine every 3-4 hours during the day and find it really effective.
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I take antihistamines, but this year it got to the point of seasonal asthma...
When I was fully vegan the symptoms of hay fever were so light I didn't even take the antihistamine pills, just a nasal spray and the eye drops. This year I had been neglecting the vegan diet and the symptoms got worse than ever.
I'm recommending considering a diet change, not saying veganism is the best for everyone, but consulting with a nutritionist or a naturopath may help the symptoms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads