The Student Room Group

I completed the access course! Anybody have any questions?

I just had the news I passed every module. If anybody is starting the course and has any questions about it, I will try my best to help. :smile:
Access course in what subject area ?
Mental health nursing :smile:
Original post by lottieelot
Access course in what subject area ?
I'm about to start in September, kinda excited about it. Any tips? What was the longest assignment you've ever done (in terms of time)? Do you recomend any books in particular?

I bought "Collins Advanced Science – Human Biology" from Amazon as I've seen a lot of good reviews from other students that did the access course but I'm willing to get more if I get to find the right ones.

Thanks and congratulations! 😊
i'm starting in august , excited but also super nervous. any tips ? adult nursing congratulations on passing :smile:
Original post by Yahik093
I'm about to start in September, kinda excited about it. Any tips? What was the longest assignment you've ever done (in terms of time)? Do you recomend any books in particular?

I bought "Collins Advanced Science – Human Biology" from Amazon as I've seen a lot of good reviews from other students that did the access course but I'm willing to get more if I get to find the right ones.

Thanks and congratulations! 😊

Hi there! So the longest assignment I did is a toss up between the exam I had at the end (some access courses don't have an exam) or a research project assignment where we picked our own topic, did the literature review on past research, conducted it and analysed results to draw conclusions. Although that sounds like a lot of work, it was actually really fun since you get to pick your own topic.

When it comes to books, I found that my lecturers often gave me materials or found the materials online for us and gave us links. The Biology book you have got should be useful as my Biology units covered cell biology, organ systems, one practical experiment and then reproductive biology. Whether you will have the same units I'm not sure, but definitely a useful buy.

With regards to tips, I have a couple. Get started on your personal statement for University where possible. I did a few drafts of mine over the Summer before I started and I found it was much easier managing my course assignments as well as my UCAS Application with that done and dusted. The other tip I would say is that although your lecturers are going to say constant hard work will pay off, listen to your body when you need a break. I found myself a little stressed in January and just shut my books for a weekend so that I could catch up with myself.

Hope this helps, and if I can help you further during the year, I still have all my access materials and notes that I'm happy to share with you if it will help!
Thank you on the congratulations and good luck! :smile:
Original post by glasgowstudent10
i'm starting in august , excited but also super nervous. any tips ? adult nursing congratulations on passing :smile:

Amazing! I worked alongside the adult nurses in my PHP (Professional Healthcare Practise) class. I've posted a few tips below on another reply which should help!

Along with the personal statement preparation over the Summer (which really makes the UCAS application smoother since you're not stressing over what you want to put in your statement as well as doing other assignments), also try to read up on the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Code, NHS Constitution and the 6C's of care.

Like I said below, good luck and if you need any help just pop me a message and I will share some of my notes for you :smile:
Thanks for the congratulations!
Reply 7
Wow - well done you! 🤗
I’m starting my access healthcare course in September and I’m so excited. What did you do to prepare yourself for the course before you started? And... Did you have to find a placement in a healthcare setting alongside the course? Also, If you could share any course notes with me I would be soooo grateful. xxx

(Original post by thatstudentsarah)I just had the news I passed every module. If anybody is starting the course and has any questions about it, I will try my best to help. :smile:
Congrats
Reply 9
Hi ! I am hoping to complete the access course next year to allow me to do the Adult Nursing degree, maintenance loans etc aren’t available for these courses so I was just wondering if you had a healthcare / any other type of flexible part time job around this for income ? Thank you x
Original post by kez_ley
Wow - well done you! 🤗
I’m starting my access healthcare course in September and I’m so excited. What did you do to prepare yourself for the course before you started? And... Did you have to find a placement in a healthcare setting alongside the course? Also, If you could share any course notes with me I would be soooo grateful. xxx

(Original post by thatstudentsarah)I just had the news I passed every module. If anybody is starting the course and has any questions about it, I will try my best to help. :smile:

Thank you! I tried finding any past students to see their views on the course and such, I also started my personal statement and Uni search during the Summer. If I hadn't I'd have been trying to figure out where I wanted to go to Uni as well as writing the personal statement all with other assignments going on.
I did not have to find a placement (but I know some access courses have that option), however I already work as support for adults with learning disabilities.
No worries, I have to scan them in but in the mean time look up the NHS Constitution, NMC Code, and 6Cs :smile: Good luck!!!
Original post by Rhixanna
Hi ! I am hoping to complete the access course next year to allow me to do the Adult Nursing degree, maintenance loans etc aren’t available for these courses so I was just wondering if you had a healthcare / any other type of flexible part time job around this for income ? Thank you x

Hi!
Yes I had a part time job as a support worker. :smile: Worked around 20 hours per week! x
That’s brill thank you, did you find this was easy to manage around the revision etc ?
Reply 13
That would be fantastic - thank you so much 😊Can I ask, how many days a week was your access course? Ours is three days a week and I might need to retake my maths gcse on top (if I don’t get the right grades next month) which would bring it up to four days a week. My tutor told me at enrolment not to work unless I have to because the course is so intense just on its own. But, I’ll need to work part time for financial reasons. How did you manage with work and the course at the same time?
Iv started putting ideas down on paper for my personal statement but I’m struggling with an opening sentence!
That’s a great tip about looking up the NHS constitution and NMC code! I have a poster of the 6 C’s on my bedroom wall 🤗

I’m sooo excited to start. Iv been desperate to become a midwife for 15 years (I’m 31 now) but the time wasn’t right. The passion for midwifery has never left me in all those 15 years, if anything they’ve just gotten stronger with time 🤗🤗

Original post by thatstudentsarah
Thank you! I tried finding any past students to see their views on the course and such, I also started my personal statement and Uni search during the Summer. If I hadn't I'd have been trying to figure out where I wanted to go to Uni as well as writing the personal statement all with other assignments going on.
I did not have to find a placement (but I know some access courses have that option), however I already work as support for adults with learning disabilities.
No worries, I have to scan them in but in the mean time look up the NHS Constitution, NMC Code, and 6Cs :smile: Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest