?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
What is the best way to revise for English Literature A Level
海龙1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Great question. English is a difficult one. It doesn’t rely on the factual rigour of Maths and Science, (most of the time), and so, there’s more focus on developing your skills, technique and essay approach. I have the following tips:
1) Read, re-read and re re read your set texts. You’ll have to know them really well for the exam.

2) Organise a quote bank. Gather key lines / phrases / images that you could apply to any questions thrown at you by an examiner. Put them into ‘theme columns’ so they’re nicely organised. The idea is that, upon a quick glance, all the ideas from text are encapsulated in one Word document; full of evidence to support your arguments.

3) Do an unseen analysis of a poem or an extract from something you’ve never encountered before. Have the bravery to google something, find some fancy sounding writing, and complete the following essay:

Explore how the writer uses form, structure and language to create meaning

This will hugely improve your spontaneous comprehension, critical eye and essay writing technique. The more you do, the better you get; practice makes perfect!!

Good luck
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
lots of essay practice- timed, untimed, open book, closed book; just keep practising.
quote banks and flashcards are good as you can go over these frequently- i like doing character notes also so i at least have some basic idea of how to explore characters in the essay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads