ddaizzyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I went to see Durham university for music today and really loved it..however j only had a chance to look at one college, butler's...I want a self catering college and I would love to know about the other choices. I want somewhere with a chill vibe, music practice room and good nightlife/party buses aswell as acceptance...I'm not too sure, so please can someone just inform me? Thanks a bunch
Last edited by ddaizzyy; 1 year ago
Korina24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here’s a link comparing the colleges. I haven’t started yet, however I also wanted to be self catered and found this link useful. I believe more information about each college in regards facilities is available on their website.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/ourcolleges/
Cryptokyo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ddaizzyy)
I went to see Durham university for music today and really loved it..however j only had a chance to look at one college, butler's...I want a self catering college and I would love to know about the other choices. I want somewhere with a chill vibe, music practice room and good nightlife/party buses aswell as acceptance...I'm not too sure, so please can someone just inform me? Thanks a bunch
Going self-catered does limit you choices down a fair bit. The colleges you have to choose from in this case are Butler, John Snow, St Cuthbert's(*) and Stephenson. (*) I believe Cuths has a self-catered part at its Parson's fields site; you would have to look in to the packages they offer.

The most traditional of all of them is St Cuthbert's. St Cuthbert's main site is located at the end of the bailey and of the four gives the most authentic Durham college feel but the self-catered part of the college is about a 10 minute walk from the main college but still very close to town making shopping easier. Butler, Stephenson and John Snow are all located next to each other at the top of the hill (I think John Snow may be moving but don't know the details).

In summary, Cuth's is the closest to town by a long way and offers the most traditional feel as it is much older than the others but it's accommodation is probably a bit less shiny than Butler's. I would personally say Butler is the best choice of the remaining three as it is more developed as a college in Durham with respect to sports teams and stuff as John Snow and Stephenson have recently moved from Stockton and are a bit out of the loop atm - but I'm sure this will only improve with time! The issue with having to go up the hill is that inevitably you probably won't want to walk up it after a night out.

The quality of your nights out depends on who you get to know rather than the college. I believe all the colleges have music practice rooms - I believe that Butler and Cuths have a more established music scene. Cuths is the least "chill" as it is the most traditional but all colleges are pretty relaxed tbh.

Hope this helps . I'm at Mary's so I don't know too much about all these colleges but if you have any more questions ask away!
Korina24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cryptokyo)
The colleges you have to choose from in this case are Butler, John Snow, St Cuthbert's(*) and Stephenson.
Castle also has a self-catering option
mogmeg
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cryptokyo)
Going self-catered does limit you choices down a fair bit. The colleges you have to choose from in this case are Butler, John Snow, St Cuthbert's(*) and Stephenson. (*) I believe Cuths has a self-catered part at its Parson's fields site; you would have to look in to the packages they offer.

The most traditional of all of them is St Cuthbert's. St Cuthbert's main site is located at the end of the bailey and of the four gives the most authentic Durham college feel but the self-catered part of the college is about a 10 minute walk from the main college but still very close to town making shopping easier. Butler, Stephenson and John Snow are all located next to each other at the top of the hill (I think John Snow may be moving but don't know the details).

In summary, Cuth's is the closest to town by a long way and offers the most traditional feel as it is much older than the others but it's accommodation is probably a bit less shiny than Butler's. I would personally say Butler is the best choice of the remaining three as it is more developed as a college in Durham with respect to sports teams and stuff as John Snow and Stephenson have recently moved from Stockton and are a bit out of the loop atm - but I'm sure this will only improve with time! The issue with having to go up the hill is that inevitably you probably won't want to walk up it after a night out.

The quality of your nights out depends on who you get to know rather than the college. I believe all the colleges have music practice rooms - I believe that Butler and Cuths have a more established music scene. Cuths is the least "chill" as it is the most traditional but all colleges are pretty relaxed tbh.

Hope this helps . I'm at Mary's so I don't know too much about all these colleges but if you have any more questions ask away!
if you want a good perceptive of the cuthbert accommodation, Jack Edwards i’m sure has a couple of vlogs from around 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (41)
18.3%
No one else does (73)
32.59%
I'm embarrassed about my background (22)
9.82%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (76)
33.93%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.34%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.79%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed