An A/A* student is not a ‘smart’ person Watch

_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
if you then found out that the person who knows loads of languages got run over because they werent looking both ways, would you still be calling them smart?
you cant determine if someone is smart based off of 1 skill

well no because the whole thread is debating whether students who get high grades are smart. i dont think a thread would be needed if we were debating whether people who get A*s are academicly clever.

ok so lets assume i was amazing at programming, so good that you would say im smart.
then i get runover by a car because im too dumb to look both ways when crossing the road
you still gunna call me smart?
But literally anyone can have a lapse of attention and get hit by a car.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aleks<3)
I did bio, chem and history. I guess maths, fm and physics mark schemes aren't specific (never seen them), but the bio AQA one, for example, is terribly specific
They are very specific at a-level, they have to be otherwise it wouldn't be fair. BS markschemes drag the grade boundaries a lot in science a-levels though. Best strategy is just to use shotgun approach and write more than you think is required, mentioning as much as you can. Even more so at degree where there isn't such an exacting markscheme, you wanna show the person marking you know what you are talking about with a precise and detailed explanation.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by atiduy)
I see what you mean here, I don't doubt A* achievers are intelligent people who can apply themselves well. My concern is more with the fact that there are many others, perhaps with greater subject knowledge, who will not get these grades in an exam situation because of finding it stressful or the formatting of the exam being disadvantageous towards their abilities. So, I think I mean A* students are smart, but to see them as the only intelligent ones and/or the most intelligent isn't useful.
well put
jnkkjnkjhn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by black1blade)
Only if you did the same subjects in the same year and even then ehhhh. They could literally have 1 mark less than you just because they got unlucky and a big question was on something they weren't too sure on ect. There is a pretty random element to exams on which topics come up, what questions people struggle with (definitely think on average slightly less able years exist) ect.
Same subjects, same board, same school, same parents, same everything and I fail to see how there is a debate at all...

They're a pretty crap indicator of intelligence anyway compared to stuff like the maths challenge, but they're better than nothing.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
I don't see how looking both ways is a "dumb" thing? Obviously, everyone understands its a stupid thing to do but when people do it, it's not them being stupid but accidents or other factors etc. In that situation, I'd say the person is clever but clumsy (or similar trait).

Also you have to define clever since I and most people assumed academic intelligence. Also clever is defined as quick learning and/or applications etc and some of this fit the criteria for getting top grades.
not looking both ways when you cross the road is a dumb thing, there could be a car coming towards you that will kill you and all u have to do is look to the side so you know when to go. if you cant even do that, youre dumb
smart people are aware, dumb people are not.
id say clever is being consistantly logical, ability to withstand pressure, ability to solve problems without help, being aware, ability to understand situations well and how to deal with them consistantly
Ratchet Hoe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Future Physics)
I disagree. When it comes to maths and physics, your ability is being assessed and if you can't do the calculations you won't get a high grade. Though are you talking about GCSEs or A Levels since the 2 qualifications are quite different and I didn't study the new 9-1 GCSEs and I'm self studying the new spec a levels?
I’m talking about both by the way but A Levels is more arguable also. Ability is allegedly being assessed but as long as you remember it and can put it into the exam then you should be fine. Many people know the knowledge but doing it within such an exam frame rather than in a real life scenario may be challenging to them
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _gcx)
But literally anyone can have a lapse of attention and get hit by a car.
a smart person wont
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jnkkjnkjhn)
Same subjects, same board, same school, same parents, same everything and I fail to see how there is a debate at all...

They're a pretty crap indicator of intelligence anyway compared to stuff like the maths challenge, but they're better than nothing.
A 1 grade a-level difference isn't very significant. Am I smarter than you because I got 4A*s, I wouldn't say so because I don't know anything about you. Exams are fairly random and it could have easily been the other way around so before you go around thinking you're smarter than your siblings, just think how that makes them feel (of course healthy competition is fun).
ML8020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
P1: Most students cannot get 3A*s in A-Levels.
P2: If you achieved 3A*s you have outperformed most of your fellows.
P3: A-Levels are one of the (but not the only) tools to measure smartness.
P4: The approximate smartness of the high-achievers is the best explanation to their success.
C: An A* student is a ‘smart’ person. (IBE)
Last edited by ML8020; 1 week ago
MediocreSince01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Someone who gets an A* at A-Level can be considered clever imo in that subject. If you have the ability to adapt, and apply your knowledge in novel situations, you are clever. Simply having the knowledge would not be enough.
MediocreSince01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ML8020)
P4: The approximate smartness of the high-achievers is the best explanation to their success.
C: An A* student is a ‘smart’ person (IBE)
Agreed. You can’t be one of the best in the country and not be considered ‘clever’
thekidwhogames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I agree that A* ==> fairly intelligent but the converse isn't true. But someone getting a C, who's considered amazing at that subject, is a different story I think.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ML8020)
C: An A* student is a ‘smart’ person (IBE)
so a D student is a dumb person?
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
not looking both ways when you cross the road is a dumb thing, there could be a car coming towards you that will kill you and all u have to do is look to the side so you know when to go. if you cant even do that, youre dumb
smart people are aware, dumb people are not.
id say clever is being consistantly logical, ability to withstand pressure, ability to solve problems without help, being aware, ability to understand situations well and how to deal with them consistantly
So you're saying no-one is smart since no human can be consistently logical all the time. A dumb action does not a dumb person make.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So you're saying no-one is smart since no human can be consistently logical all the time. A dumb action does not a dumb person make.
humans can be consistently logic, what makes you think they cant?
thekidwhogames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, in that subject, they wouldn't be considered that great. In terms of that subject, I'd say yes as that's below average so in that particular subject (and topic), they're not doing as well.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
More likely or maybe they're just lazy or maybe they were in a bad place. You can't determine much about someone's character just from their grades, just that certain things are more likely so I'd say it's more likely they are below average intelligence esp if it was in a gcse.
jnkkjnkjhn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A 1 grade a-level difference isn't very significant. Am I smarter than you because I got 4A*s, I wouldn't say so because I don't know anything about you. Exams are fairly random and it could have easily been the other way around so before you go around thinking you're smarter than your siblings, just think how that makes them feel (of course healthy competition is fun).
Think we're going to have to agree to disagree lol. Yeah I'd consider you smarter than me, cause I don't know if I could have handled 4. It doesn't make me sad or insecure.
K1NGZ
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MediocreSince01)
Agreed. You can’t be one of the best in the country and not be considered ‘clever’
sadly yes but no . A*A*A* in all stem subjects is not the same as A*A*A* in all humanities subjects . just saying u could take sociology which is considered more easier and get an A* etc
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
Well, in that subject, they wouldn't be considered that great. In terms of that subject, I'd say yes as that's below average so in that particular subject (and topic), they're not doing as well.
i wasnt talking about that subject, using the same logic as the person i replied to, you could say that all D students are dumb
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads