Show
I'm not dazzling? :cry2:

Please add me to this list
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I'm sorry! :hugs:wasn't sure if you wanted to be tagged, 'shall tag you!
(Original post by ecolier)
I'm not dazzling? :cry2:

Please add me to this list
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Welcome back ladies and gents! Just came back from shining Greece and had a very relaxing time. The journey back was a little less relaxing as I had to wake up at 4 am to catch a ferry at 7 am (I visited an Island) for a flight at 9 am. My mum worried a lot, but in the end all was good and bright.

I don't have much else to say for today's post, other that I've noticed a small twitch when I'm trying to small asleep on my hand and my hand was shaking without stopping for 20 minutes when I was on my phone yesterday, this is probably a side effect of my medication. I shall be changing it in September (a story for another day). I have work experience in a hospital (yay!) set up next week and I'm VERY excited for this dazzling opportunity.

Question of the day: Can I donate blood when taking sodium valproate? I figured no since it can harm the fetus, but what about other AEDs? Donated blood saved my cousin's life a few years ago and I would love to donate when I am a legal adult.

Thank you for reading and don't forget to seize the day! (unless you have epilepsy then stay safe out there folks! )

Dazzling people:
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Have a look at this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2928823/ and let me know if you have any questions (you may well have haha)

Well done on your work experience and hope you had fun in Greece!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yay for work experience! And yay for Greece! I hope you pranced around near the sea singing ABBA songs on my behalf?! :hmmm:

4am is not a time :no: Also sorry to hear about the hand shaking for 20 mins, sounds worrying

:hugs:
mpaprika
Rep:
?
of course I danced around singing mamma mia! I actually visited the mamma mia island which was probably the best part, shame Pierce Brosnan wasn't present
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Yay for work experience! And yay for Greece! I hope you pranced around near the sea singing ABBA songs on my behalf?! :hmmm:

4am is not a time :no: Also sorry to hear about the hand shaking for 20 mins, sounds worrying

:hugs:
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Thank you for the article, it was very interesting to read! Sodium valproate is class 1, but other AEDs (the ones beginning with L specifically, absolutely forgot the name) are presumably not class 1? Also isn't epilim chrono slow releasing which is why I have to take two dosages totaling up to 800mg = higher plasma concentraion?
Have a look at this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2928823/ and let me know if you have any questions (you may well have haha)

Well done on your work experience and hope you had fun in Greece!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by mpaprika)
Thank you for the article, it was very interesting to read! Sodium valproate is class 1, but other AEDs (the ones beginning with L specifically, absolutely forgot the name) are presumably not class 1? Also isn't epilim chrono slow releasing which is why I have to take two dosages totaling up to 800mg = higher plasma concentraion?
Lamotrigine. It's supposed to be safer for pregnancy (it is according to many large scale studies).

It's not for higher plasma concentration - it's for a more stable plasma concentration throughout the day. If they wanted a higher plasma concentration they would have increased your dose. Slow release just means that the peaks and troughs are more evened out, as long as you remember to take them!
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Lamotrigine. It's supposed to be safer for pregnancy (it is according to many large scale studies).

It's not for higher plasma concentration - it's for a more stable plasma concentration throughout the day. If they wanted a higher plasma concentration they would have increased your dose. Slow release just means that the peaks and troughs are more evened out, as long as you remember to take them!
Thank you! I wasn't actually sure what they meant by slow release, when I had my grand mal seizure everything happened so quickly and they got me on medication without time for explanation, a more stable plasma concentration makes more sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads