The Student Room Group

Can I change degree (part-time)

Hi

I’ve just completed my second Open University law module. I now have 120 credits at level 4. However, although I’m doing really well I’m finding the course incredibly dull and I’d like to change degree choice. I would continue studying with OU part-time. I have no other qualifications apart from these 120 credits.

If I can’t credit transfer then I’d need to start my new degree from scratch. Am I still eligible for the full amount of part-time funding for this? I’m aware of the 3+1 rule for FT courses, but don’t know the rules for PT.

Thanks
Original post by MrJonRotten
Hi

I’ve just completed my second Open University law module. I now have 120 credits at level 4. However, although I’m doing really well I’m finding the course incredibly dull and I’d like to change degree choice. I would continue studying with OU part-time. I have no other qualifications apart from these 120 credits.

If I can’t credit transfer then I’d need to start my new degree from scratch. Am I still eligible for the full amount of part-time funding for this? I’m aware of the 3+1 rule for FT courses, but don’t know the rules for PT.

Thanks

Hi there,

You can receive up to 16 years of part time study as long as you are studying a course which is at a higher level than any qualifications you have.

How many years of part time study have you already done? And what course are you wishing to transfer to?

Thanks, Ashley.
Reply 2
AA14B79B-C7DE-4A5C-B18B-F8D15F32104E.jpegHi Ashley

Thank you for responding.

Do you mean 16 consecutive years from the first module, or 16 years of individual modules?

I ask because I received a grant for a 10 credit module in 2009, but no tuition fee was paid. My actual first p/t tuition fee loan was paid in 2016 and I also received a FT payment in 2013, but had to withdraw due to ill health.

Thanks.
Original post by SFE Ashley
Hi there,

You can receive up to 16 years of part time study as long as you are studying a course which is at a higher level than any qualifications you have.

How many years of part time study have you already done? And what course are you wishing to transfer to?

Thanks, Ashley.
Original post by MrJonRotten
AA14B79B-C7DE-4A5C-B18B-F8D15F32104E.jpegHi Ashley

Thank you for responding.

Do you mean 16 consecutive years from the first module, or 16 years of individual modules?

I ask because I received a grant for a 10 credit module in 2009, but no tuition fee was paid. My actual first p/t tuition fee loan was paid in 2016 and I also received a FT payment in 2013, but had to withdraw due to ill health.

Thanks.

It would be 16 years of part time funding in total, it does not need to be consecutive years.

If you have received funding for a previous part time course, this would be included in the 16 years. We would not include any years of full time study.

Thanks, Ashley.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending