Advice on the route into Secondary School PE Teaching? Watch

MR_C
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have just finished my GCSE's and recently a new career path has crossed my mind. Totally different to previously wanting to become a Civil Engineer! I am predicted 4's 5's and the odd 6 in my GCSE's. I have got my place in college studying Level 3 Construction and the Built Environment but if I go ahead with my focus on wanting to become a Secondary School PE Teacher I will change the course to something along the lines of Level 3 Sport.

Is this route a good one? Also, Leeds Trinity has a BA degree in Secondary Education, Physical Education and Sport which is 2 years, allowing me to become qualified within 3 years after my PGCE. Would this be a good degree to go down? Also, is there a high demand for PE teachers in the North East?

Thanks,

MR C
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MR_C)
I have just finished my GCSE's and recently a new career path has crossed my mind. Totally different to previously wanting to become a Civil Engineer! I am predicted 4's 5's and the odd 6 in my GCSE's. I have got my place in college studying Level 3 Construction and the Built Environment but if I go ahead with my focus on wanting to become a Secondary School PE Teacher I will change the course to something along the lines of Level 3 Sport.

Is this route a good one? Also, Leeds Trinity has a BA degree in Secondary Education, Physical Education and Sport which is 2 years, allowing me to become qualified within 3 years after my PGCE. Would this be a good degree to go down? Also, is there a high demand for PE teachers in the North East?

Thanks,

MR C
If you think you'll enjoy it then sure. However, before you commit yourself to a degree in it I would do some research to see if it could be something you could see yourself doing. You could even ask to go back to your old high school and speak to your PE teachers to see how the find it and if they would they recommend it.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MR_C)

Thanks,

MR C
Unfortunately, PE is one of the few secondary subjects where teachers are not in demand, and it can be quite hard to find permanent employment after qualifying.

Personally, I would keep your options a bit open- so rather than doing an undergraduate teaching qualification, maybe consider a degree in sports science or similar with a view to doing your PGCE afterwards- as this might give you other options if being a PE teacher doesn't work out.

Because PE is so popular as a PGCE subject, many providers will want you to have some coaching/education experience already before you apply for the course, so it might be worth looking into a level 3 course that will let you get some work experience with young people too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed