The Student Room Group

A level English language (ahha)

So guys I wanted a career hopefully in journalism or Law. But many people tell me to English literature then language but I don't see the problem in fact the journalism aspect
of English language can help me! But I know unis don't expect it as much but there are no specifics so I don't see the problem x
Anything on a level English language??!??
Reply 1
Sorry, can you re-write this? It actually seems incomprehensible to me. I'm stupefied.

I think this is what you mean, but you should correct me if I'm wrong (Italics for your comment and brackets for my interpretation):

Spoiler

I think that you are making the right decision by taking English language for journalism. Not only do you get a media-style perspective of the English language, but you learn the basic aspects (e.g. the fundamentals of grammar) as well as the advanced ones (e.g. very critical analysis). You also write a linguistic article (if you're with AQA, this is the case) in the exam. In your coursework, you can actually write an article on any topic of your choosing as well. :smile:

For law, English langauge can also help you. You look at language as a linguist, evaluating linguistic theories about different facets of society like gender, class and occupation, along with theories on children's language development. You must be able to construct a strong argument for your case in argumentative essays. However, you must also consider the rebuttal to some of your arguments. This is a skill you'd probably want to be equipped with if you go into the world of law.

There is nothing wrong with English langauge. I take it, and I love it. I feel that it is overlooked a lot!
Reply 2
Okay, thanks a lot! HAHA sorry yeah my writing is literally confusing and misleading but thanks for the adjustments. But yeah it is the exam board AQA for the A level course. Also, can you give me some of your experience in year 1 of English lang? And is it possible to manage History and English literature alongside English language? Ty tyyy
Original post by Tolgarda
Sorry, can you re-write this? It actually seems incomprehensible to me. I'm stupefied.

I think this is what you mean, but you should correct me if I'm wrong (Italics for your comment and brackets for my interpretation):

Spoiler

I think that you are making the right decision by taking English language for journalism. Not only do you get a media-style perspective of the English language, but you learn the basic aspects (e.g. the fundamentals of grammar) as well as the advanced ones (e.g. very critical analysis). You also write a linguistic article (if you're with AQA, this is the case) in the exam. In your coursework, you can actually write an article on any topic of your choosing as well. :smile:

For law, English langauge can also help you. You look at language as a linguist, evaluating linguistic theories about different facets of society like gender, class and occupation, along with theories on children's language development. You must be able to construct a strong argument for your case in argumentative essays. However, you must also consider the rebuttal to some of your arguments. This is a skill you'd probably want to be equipped with if you go into the world of law.

There is nothing wrong with English langauge. I take it, and I love it. I feel that it is overlooked a lot!
Reply 3
Original post by Manip01
Okay, thanks a lot! HAHA sorry yeah my writing is literally confusing and misleading but thanks for the adjustments. But yeah it is the exam board AQA for the A level course. Also, can you give me some of your experience in year 1 of English lang? And is it possible to manage History and English literature alongside English language? Ty tyyy

In the first year, we covered all of the content for the first paper and around half of the content for the second paper.

I had to learn different theories for a child's spoken and written acquisition (e.g. the LAD by Noam Chomsky, the LASS by Jerome Bruner, the MKO by Vygotsky etc.) and learn to apply them in an evaluative essay that included data to support my arguments. Paper 1 also included a gloss over learning how to interpret different transactional texts (e.g. using genre, audience, purpose and context).

For paper two, I learn the different theories in sociolinguistics for gender, occupation and class. I learnt a little about the history of English and information about some dialects.

It's possible to handle any A Level combination comprising three A Levels. You just require a good work ethic and must use your free time wisely. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
K thanks, would you recommend it? And do you think doing both English's at a level is fine
In the first year, we covered all of the content for the first paper and around half of the content for the second paper.

I had to learn different theories for a child's spoken and written acquisition (e.g. the LAD by Noam Chomsky, the LASS by Jerome Bruner, the MKO by Vygotsky etc.) and learn to apply them in an evaluative essay that included data to support my arguments. Paper 1 also included a gloss over learning how to interpret different transactional texts (e.g. using genre, audience, purpose and context).

For paper two, I learn the different theories in sociolinguistics for gender, occupation and class. I learnt a little about the history of English and information about some dialects.

It's possible to handle any A Level combination comprising three A Levels. You just require a good work ethic and must use your free time wisely. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Manip01
K thanks, would you recommend it? And do you think doing both English's at a level is fine

I would definitely recommend it, especially because you are contemplating a career in law or journalism.

I think taking both English subjects at A Level is fine. In fact, I take both of them at A Level, and I really enjoy it!
Reply 6
okay, thank you for the reassurance!
I would definitely recommend it, especially because you are contemplating a career in law or journalism.

I think taking both English subjects at A Level is fine. In fact, I take both of them at A Level, and I really enjoy it!
Reply 7
Original post by Manip01
okay, thank you for the reassurance!

Yh I take History, eng lit and eng lang and the combination is strongly recommended for law (in my view) but the main caution is handling your coursework carefully. There is a lot to get through but once you get through the cw it is relative revision as opposed to an extended syllabus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending