NEW car insurance? HELP! Watch

James.P_98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have just purchased a brand new 19 plate Mercedes A200 AMG in premium line. May have gone a bit mad but thought whilst I can still afford it why not?! Dream car! Not quite hot hatch territory being a 1.4l but packing 163hp the insurance companies are rinsing me.

So far all I can find are telematic (black box) policies ranging from £1000-£5000 the cheapest non "black box" policy is with Lloyds bank for £2750. I DO NOT want a black box if I can help it. I currently have a Corsa without one and I don't want the stress of driving and worrying about my score, or slightly speeding and getting my insurance cancelled.

The question is does anyone know of any good "non-black box" insurance companies that don't show up on comparison websites?

I pick the car up in a few weeks and although I can just about afford the Lloyds quote I don't really want to shell out another £3k after signing a PCP deal for a £30k car. Cheers.

EDIT: I am 19, with a full time job, living at home if that helps at all.
Last edited by James.P_98; 1 week ago
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by James.P_98)
I have just purchased a brand new 19 plate Mercedes A200 AMG in premium line. May have gone a bit mad but thought whilst I can still afford it why not?! Dream car! Not quite hot hatch territory being a 1.4l but packing 163hp the insurance companies are rinsing me.

So far all I can find are telematic (black box) policies ranging from £1000-£5000 the cheapest non "black box" policy is with Lloyds bank for £2750. I DO NOT want a black box if I can help it. I currently have a Corsa without one and I don't want the stress of driving and worrying about my score, or slightly speeding and getting my insurance cancelled.

The question is does anyone know of any good "non-black box" insurance companies that don't show up on comparison websites?

I pick the car up in a few weeks and although I can just about afford the Lloyds quote I don't really want to shell out another £3k after signing a PCP deal for a £30k car. Cheers.

EDIT: I am 19, with a full time job, living at home if that helps at all.
You are highly unlikely to get it any cheaper at your age
siamsam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
did you not get quotes for the insurance before signing up to buy the car? I think that the price you've been quoted is a bargain considering your age, your short driving history, the value of the car and the power of the car.
James.P_98
Rep:
?
That’s exactly what I thought. Just got off the phone to direct line who offered me fully comp, no black box for £1750 a year. Mad!

Didn’t think I would get below £3k
(Original post by Rock Fan)
You are highly unlikely to get it any cheaper at your age
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But havent you still gotta have a black box?
James.P_98
Rep:
?
But havent you still gotta have a black box?
Nope! I did ask that question and the black box policy would be £1400 but no black box added just under £300 extra to bring it to £1750. I’m amazed 🙌🎉
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I almost find that a bit difficult to believe hmmmm
James.P_98
Rep:
?
I almost find that a bit difficult to believe hmmmm
Me too 😂 no in all fairness I am being honest. When I get the reg from the dealership and the insurance have be paid I’ll post the quote on here to prove it.
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
don't use morethan. one mph above the limit and your score drops like 10
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So you magically went from £2750 WITH a black box to £1750 with no black box?
James.P_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by tesconyc)
don't use morethan. one mph above the limit and your score drops like 10
Thank you! Exactly the reason why I don’t want a black box, the pressure to be perfect so you don’t drop your score when driving is enough to cause an accident let alone anything else.

The cheapest black box policy I found was Hastings direct “smart miles”. Non black box policy has been direct line.
James.P_98
Rep:
?
Correct. I was only searching with comparison websites. Called direct line who as you said quoted me £1750 no black box. Trust me I’m as amazed as you are.
(Original post by Xarao)
So you magically went from £2750 WITH a black box to £1750 with no black box?
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by James.P_98)
Correct. I was only searching with comparison websites. Called direct line who as you said quoted me £1750 no black box. Trust me I’m as amazed as you are.
If that's legit, good on you man. Sounds like a good deal.
R4JBO55
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try admiral insurance if u know someone who works there insurance could be calm
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
James.P_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
If that's legit, good on you man. Sounds like a good deal.
I’ll post the proof as soon as I take it out. Cheers bud, over the moon. Cracking deal for my age and vehicle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads