Chances of training contract with bad A levels? Watch

Tchoepful45
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

I was wondering how much my academics would hold me back in applying for a training contract? I got BBB at A level and resat one of these on a gap year which bumped me up to ABB.

I just finished second year at Bristol uni in politics and ir (contextual offer) and I’m on track to finish my degree with a first.

I’m not looking for a magic circle firm just a mid tier London firm would do.

Thanks
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not sure how much they stick to them as an absolute, but if you search firms on legal cheek it usually lists their minimum requirements for A level.
Nicktim
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There are a few firms that don’t have A Level requirements. I know I applied to Freshfields and HSF which didn’t. I have worse A Levels than that and have just converted my VS into a TC at a MC firm. You may just need to really pull on your practical experience if you have much to compensate for academics.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's fine for mid-tier firms, especially if combined with a first.

Have a look through https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/ which has the grade requirements for most firms.

The Magic Circle used to use AAB as their minimum and a lot of the mid-tier firms used to use ABB as their minimum. Though these days firms are trending towards not specifying a minimum A level grade requirement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (153)
17.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.74%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
58.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (124)
14.45%

Watched Threads