Second Year Worries Watch

erin-lucy28
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve just finished first year with a 2:1 (65%). I really want a first overall.
I’m very nervous about going into second year, I don’t really know why. I’ve been told by many people it’s more difficult and more intense than first year due to it counting towards your degree classification, which makes sense, but I’m far more worried than I need to be.
Does anyone have any tips for going into second year? And does anyone have any advice for if there’s anything I can do over summer to make life easier when starting second year? Is it really that much harder than first year?
I was also wondering if anyone had any tips on getting a first, towards the end of first year my grades started going up, I even got 75% in my final essay and I think that’s a good sign as I finally found a learning style that works for me! However, I’m nervous it was a fluke and I don’t want to risk mucking anything up going into second year.
If anyone could help that would be great!
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am looking much more forward to the second year compared to the first year.

Look at it this way... you are way more mature, and better academically compared to during first year. Hopefully you have already made some mistakes and learnt from them. No need to do work over summer imo enjoy it man
erin-lucy28
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
I am looking much more forward to the second year compared to the first year.

Look at it this way... you are way more mature, and better academically compared to during first year. Hopefully you have already made some mistakes and learnt from them. No need to do work over summer imo enjoy it man
That’s a good way to put it, there’s still some panic in me though. Hopefully I can pick up where I left off in first year rather than starting at the bottom and working my way up to solid grades again.
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel you on this! Finished with a 1:1 but I'm really worried I won't be able to do it next year. I've heard the same thing from people. I'm just going to knuckle down and focus though, a lot less nights out and whatnot than this year.
ThatSameCraig20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm about to go into 2nd year too, also having got a 2:1 in 1st year, but to be honest I'm not that worried at all. If anything I'm more confident now I've had a year to get into the swing of things.
I'm actually looking forward to this year more than last year. Saying that, I'm one of those weirdos that enjoys being under pressure because it pushes me to work harder.

I haven't heard of many people saying 2nd year is significantly harder. I think people may just feel that way because they actually have to put in more effort than the "40%'s fine" mentality you have in 1st year.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by erin-lucy28)
I’ve just finished first year with a 2:1 (65%). I really want a first overall.
I’m very nervous about going into second year, I don’t really know why. I’ve been told by many people it’s more difficult and more intense than first year due to it counting towards your degree classification, which makes sense, but I’m far more worried than I need to be.
Does anyone have any tips for going into second year? And does anyone have any advice for if there’s anything I can do over summer to make life easier when starting second year? Is it really that much harder than first year?
I was also wondering if anyone had any tips on getting a first, towards the end of first year my grades started going up, I even got 75% in my final essay and I think that’s a good sign as I finally found a learning style that works for me! However, I’m nervous it was a fluke and I don’t want to risk mucking anything up going into second year.
If anyone could help that would be great!
Hey! Well done on your grades!! It is a bit of a step up but as long as you are willing to put the work in then you will be fine. I think just treat it as a 9-5 job so go to the library 9-5 and get the work done. Give yourself plenty of time to get the best and start things early. Communicate with your tutors and ask lots of questions!! Look at the marking criteria and make sure you are doing exactly what they will b marking you on . Hope this helps!!
SOphia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.7%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (456)
58.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.82%

Watched Threads