The Student Room Group

which uni for economics

hey,
Which university is better in terms of teaching and employment opportunities for economics? Exeter or Glasgow? Could someone give insight of the courses at both of the universities?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jasminlucia
hey,
Which university is better in terms of teaching and employment opportunities for economics? Exeter or Glasgow? Could someone give insight of the courses at both of the universities?

Try talking to students at both and factor in bias.
https://www.exeterguild.org/societies/businessandeconomics/
https://www.glasgowstudent.net/clubs/listings/adam-smith-economics-society/
https://www.glasgowstudent.net/clubs/listings/real-world-economics-society/

the course structure should be on the website.
Hi, I'm currently study Economics and Finance at Exeter so I'm a little biased but Exeter is much much better in terms of employment opportunities - they have literally the best business school in the country in terms of percentage of grads in employment. Also if you're looking to go into banking then Exeter for sure over Glasgow as Exeter is a semi-target and tends to be in the top 10 unis for getting grads into IB whereas I don't believe Glasgow offers much on that front.

In terms of the course, I have no idea about Glasgow but Exeter is quite maths based with tough statistical and mathematical modules like Econometrics. I've found it to be a very interesting and insightful course and Macroeconomics is one of the better taught modules (I've had some pretty crap lecturers this first year but still managed to do well in the exams).

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Jasminlucia
hey,
I suspended my studies from Glasgow because it was so bad. I was doing a joint honours in econ and politics and i wish i'd picked a different course because the economics part was just bad, politics was great but econ was like a big disappointment.

I really hate the teaching style, the class was oversubscribed in first year because in Scottish universities you can pick 3 subjects in your first year then switch out your degree in second year so you can change from the programme you started with. It's a way people get round not getting into Economics in the first place.

Year 1 was super easy, not a lot of maths involved and what maths was involved was taught in specific blocks (so like 1 lecture per week for 4 weeks). There are 2 okay lecturers for the course and the tutors I had were painfully bad.

Year 2 was basically like a repeat of Year 1 but to a greater depth so you cover microecon the first term then macroecon the second. Maths is again very easy and not that challenging, especially if you take maths as one of your three subjects.

After year 2 i "suspended" my studies because I had had enough. Glasgow is an amazing city though, like I love it so much, and student life is amazing there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending