The Student Room Group

Cover letter for first job - is it necessary and how would you write one?

I'm 16 and about to apply for some part time jobs. Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area so most positions are things like washing up in pubs which I'm not exactly passionate about.

For these types of jobs will they be expecting a proper cover letter or just a brief summary to accompany the CV? And if I will need an actual letter, then how could I write it despite lacking any specific experience or enthusiasm?
Original post by mypwnsupport
I'm 16 and about to apply for some part time jobs. Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area so most positions are things like washing up in pubs which I'm not exactly passionate about.

For these types of jobs will they be expecting a proper cover letter or just a brief summary to accompany the CV? And if I will need an actual letter, then how could I write it despite lacking any specific experience or enthusiasm?

unless the job ad says otherwise then your cv alone should be enough

You should always write a covering letter with a CV. A CV gives the technical evidence that you can do the job. The covering letter provides the persuasion. When you are trying for a first job and have little experience it is even more important to write a covering letter that might persuade an employer to give you an interview.

A covering letter fits an easy pattern,

Start with a clear opening statement This is an application for [job title] as advertised [wherever you saw the advert]

Then give about 3 sentences as to why you want to do this sort of work. You can say you are gaining experience or saving money for something it its a first job or a summer job.

Then say why you want to work for this employer - it's often fine just to say you shop there and like the store.

Then, in a longer paragraph, highlight your three most relevant skills, either by pointing out the several places you've given evidence in your CV, or by adding additional detail and examples.
Original post by claireestelle
unless the job ad says otherwise then your cv alone should be enough

Incorrect. A covering letter is implicit in the request to apply by CV. They should be considered inseparable, twin documents. The CV provides the evidence and the covering letter provides the persuasion.

You should always write and attach a cover letter with your CV as it makes your application stand out as it shows that you have made an effort. As you would imagine in this job climate, you have to do whatever it takes to get a job.
A CV alone does not make your application stand out.
I didn't do an official cover letter for my first job but I did put a small paragraph about why I'd love the job in the email I sent with my CV. Just makes you seem more friendly x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending