ageism Watch

Helen Playdon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am 73years old. Does that rule me out of a postgrad loan to do an M.Ed.? I was hoping to teach for another 10 years or so.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Helen Playdon)
I am 73years old. Does that rule me out of a postgrad loan to do an M.Ed.? I was hoping to teach for another 10 years or so.
i'm afraid you have to be under 60 for postgrad loans.
WarwickMaths281
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it's a real shame that the loans aren't available to the over 60's. The older generations have contributed far more to society than the rest of us yet receive diddly squat from the government whilst millennials get showered in free stuff.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by WarwickMaths281)
I think it's a real shame that the loans aren't available to the over 60's. The older generations have contributed far more to society than the rest of us yet receive diddly squat from the government whilst millennials get showered in free stuff.
No, millennials get showered in repayable loans. It's old people who quite literally do get the free stuff...

And the government has a very good reason not to give the loans to over 60s, although you're not gonna want to hear it. Student loans do not pass on to family or anyone if you die, they're written off. Over 60s have next to zero chance of repaying their loans before they die.

Although most young students also don't repay the full amount, they'll at least get a lot closer than over 60s. It's purely a financial issue, not "ageism"
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there Helen Playdon

You've already had good answers about this and the age cut off for applying for a post Graduate loan. However, have you tried looking at any bursaries or scholarships through charities? They can sometimes assist in the costs of university.

Fi :horse:
(Original post by Helen Playdon)
Helen Playdon
Rep:
?
I don't agree that the last reply was 'good' - it was rather one-sided. I did not have a grant for my undergraduate degree because \I studied in the U.S.A., where I lived then - I turned down a place at Harvard (much more expensive) and worked 40 and more hours a week to fund myself at a state university, my mother contributed $25 a month, and fed me in the summer holiday. I have happily paid taxes in this country for 53 years, then been charged £3000 for the right to remain with my British husband. I would be willing to repay the whole of the loan in the first year of employment, or to have it as a charge on my estate. For the past two years I have taught three full days a week for no pay; I teach a shortage subject and get frequent phone calls from the DfE saying they need people of my calibre in the classroom. So who benefits from not allowing me a grant/loan?
Helen Playdon
Rep:
?
The last comment was gratuitously rude and wholly unhelpful. There is no need to abuse others for where they live or work, another lesson the over-60s have mostly mastered! I have been much exercised about applying for a loan because I have grandchildren. I am willing to take out a loan, with guaranteed repayment because I want to use such small resources that I have to ensure their education is secure and that they are not encumbered by debt for many years. Perhaps if we all assume another's motives are good we could get on without generational infighting. After an earlier reply I can understand better why there is an age limit; to our generation one never assumed that a debt would not be repaid in full - by one's estate if not before. as this is not the case, and as there is a (really high) earnings threshold before one pays it back, I understand better why the age limit is thought necessary. I think the earnings limit could be much lower and then repayments would be completed much earlier.
Last edited by Helen Playdon; 1 week ago
marinade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's worth a shout investing time looking into charities as said. I know someone who wasn't eligible for a stidudent loan and got substantial help.
Helen Playdon
Rep:
?
Yes, thank you, I'll try that avenue - thanks to both people who suggested this, sorry I didn't pick it up first time. Best wishes.

Helen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads