I just got a new job, and I have bad breath which is affecting my confidence. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Basically I just got a new job. Just completed my first week, however, I have noticed that my new colleagues keep touching their noses, fidget and general keep their distance. I've been on trams and seen people pull faces and cover their noses - overheard people say it smells.

Now, I have anxiety, depression and mental health problems, but I am not imagining this at all. I admit, I maybe haven't taken the best care of my teeth (fizzy drinks, alcohol abuse), and haven't seen a dentist in years (partly to do with anxiety).

I desperately need to see a dentist. Its affecting my mental health. But I don't want to take time off at this early stage in my employment, but it bothers me so it needs sorting. It's affecting my focus, and my getting on with people in the office.

I have been anxious all day at the though of my commute into work tomorrow, and I am very upset about this. It affecting my wellbeing.

I am registered with a dentist, but next available appointment is August.

What can I do?
exams_6700
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Chewingum?
Mints?
(Original post by anonymous)
basically i just got a new job. Just completed my first week, however, i have noticed that my new colleagues keep touching their noses, fidget and general keep their distance. I've been on trams and seen people pull faces and cover their noses - overheard people say it smells.

Now, i have anxiety, depression and mental health problems, but i am not imagining this at all. I admit, i maybe haven't taken the best care of my teeth (fizzy drinks, alcohol abuse), and haven't seen a dentist in years (partly to do with anxiety).

I desperately need to see a dentist. Its affecting my mental health. But i don't want to take time off at this early stage in my employment, but it bothers me so it needs sorting. It's affecting my focus, and my getting on with people in the office.

I have been anxious all day at the though of my commute into work tomorrow, and i am very upset about this. It affecting my wellbeing.

I am registered with a dentist, but next available appointment is august.

What can i do?
Anonymous #1
Tried both those things.

I brush, floss and also use mouthwash.

Makes no difference.
(Original post by exams_6700)
Chewingum?
Mints?
maachu_pichuu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I doubt people can smell your breath on the train, however you may have general hygiene problems.

1) Change clothes daily, this includes especially underwear and socks.
2) Shower daily
3) Use deodorant and/or cologne
4) Brush teeth twice a day and use mouthwash
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
OP, the ancient egyptians at times didn't have access to water, but would always change clothes daily. The smell is usually from the accumulation of sweat and bacteria on clothing. I also recommend to shower daily, but changing clothes daily will make a huge difference.
Anonymous #1
No I mean like if I'm on a tram, and someone is sat maybe 5-6ft away from me they can potentially. It's a daily struggle, I'm becoming very avoidant and its problematic for my mental health.

I am still in my training, and I don't want to get sacked, for either, having bad breath, or having to take time off at short notice to attend a dentist.

I shower daily, I wash myself, I wear clean clothes to work, I wear deodorant.

I'm unsure of what to do.

I chew gum, I floss, I brush my teeth, and tongue (although can never get right to the back because I gag).
(Original post by maachu_pichuu)
I doubt people can smell your breath on the train, however you may have general hygiene problems.

1) Change clothes daily, this includes especially underwear and socks.
2) Shower daily
3) Use deodorant and/or cologne
4) Brush teeth twice a day and use mouthwash
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No I mean like if I'm on a tram, and someone is sat maybe 5-6ft away from me they can potentially. It's a daily struggle, I'm becoming very avoidant and its problematic for my mental health.

I am still in my training, and I don't want to get sacked, for either, having bad breath, or having to take time off at short notice to attend a dentist.

I shower daily, I wash myself, I wear clean clothes to work, I wear deodorant.

I'm unsure of what to do.

I chew gum, I floss, I brush my teeth, and tongue (although can never get right to the back because I gag).
Have you seen a GP about it? It may be something else causing the bad breath?
Anonymous #1
I am well aware my teeth are in bad shape. I probably need a few fillings, and I have a weird taste in my mouth. So I know I need to see a dentist. The problem is, I don't know how bad my breath is objectively, and how much of this I am projecting because of my anxiety and mental health.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by maachu_pichuu)
Have you seen a GP about it? It may be something else causing the bad breath?
No I haven't I will visit my dentist first when I actually get an appt. Then my GP.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am well aware my teeth are in bad shape. I probably need a few fillings, and I have a weird taste in my mouth. So I know I need to see a dentist. The problem is, I don't know how bad my breath is objectively, and how much of this I am projecting because of my anxiety and mental health.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bad-breath/
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Basically I just got a new job. Just completed my first week, however, I have noticed that my new colleagues keep touching their noses, fidget and general keep their distance. I've been on trams and seen people pull faces and cover their noses - overheard people say it smells.

Now, I have anxiety, depression and mental health problems, but I am not imagining this at all. I admit, I maybe haven't taken the best care of my teeth (fizzy drinks, alcohol abuse), and haven't seen a dentist in years (partly to do with anxiety).

I desperately need to see a dentist. Its affecting my mental health. But I don't want to take time off at this early stage in my employment, but it bothers me so it needs sorting. It's affecting my focus, and my getting on with people in the office.

I have been anxious all day at the though of my commute into work tomorrow, and I am very upset about this. It affecting my wellbeing.

I am registered with a dentist, but next available appointment is August.

What can I do?
Your doctor might give you special mouthwash
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know why no one has said this yet.

Scrape your tongue if you don’t already. I had bad breath as well and this got rid of it. Just thoroughly scrape your tongue after your brush, keeping some toothpaste in your mouth. What I do is basically scrape until all the dirty (brown stuff) is gone from the scraper
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know why no one has said this yet.

Scrape your tongue if you don’t already. I had bad breath as well and this got rid of it. Just thoroughly scrape your tongue after your brush, keeping some toothpaste in your mouth. What I do is basically scrape until all the dirty (brown stuff) is gone from the scraper
Oh yeah use a tongue scraper to do this
Going Back
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have cavities that need attention, and/or a seriously bad tooth and potentially an abcess under the tooth you could well have a mouthful of bacteria that you cannot clean out with brushing, mouthwash, etc and it could easily smell bad. Even if you don't have pain, you could still have these problems. If this is the case, you will need dental work to fix it. Perhaps you could get in sooner if you say you suspect an abcess? Sometimes they also give antbiotics for this.

Also, I don't know if th e y do this but if your gp knows about your anxiety they might give you a small dose of anti-anxiety meds to make it easier for you to go to the dentist.

Good luck.
Last edited by Going Back; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads