Will these IGCSE grades get me rejected from my schools despite my IB predicted grade Watch

jwmin1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have a A*AACCF(art) for IGCSE
But a 42/45 predicted grade for IB..
I'm scared that I might get rejected from KCL UCL Oxford Bristol and LSE because of my IGCSE grades despite my IB predicted grades. My A's and A* are for English first language, French and Chinese, and the C's for math and science, and F for art.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jwmin1)
I'm scared that I might get rejected from KCL UCL Oxford Bristol and LSE because of my IGCSE grades despite my IB predicted grades. My A's and A* are for English first language, French and Chinese, and the C's for math and science, and F for art.
which course are you applying for? oxford at least would be an issue with your gcses
jwmin1
Rep:
?
That's exactly what I'm afraid of, because I'm applying for law
(Original post by claireestelle)
which course are you applying for? oxford at least would be an issue with your gcses
Physikoi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's exactly what I'm afraid of, because I'm applying for law
yeah unless you have major extenuating circumstances, u r v unlikely to get offer
jwmin1
Rep:
?
For all my choices? Or just Oxford? Are IGCSEs really that significant? On Oxford's webpage it doesn't specify anything about IGCSEs..
(Original post by Physikoi)
yeah unless you have major extenuating circumstances, u r v unlikely to get offer
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For all my choices? Or just Oxford? Are IGCSEs really that significant? On Oxford's webpage it doesn't specify anything about IGCSEs..
Why do u only have 6 tho and you only have 3 that are A*/A whereas the average Oxbridge applicant will have like 9 A*/As at least
We had about 40 people in my year applying to Oxbridge this year and the average kid had 8 A*s 2As
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Afterlife?; 2 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oxford heavily emphasises GCSE grades in determining whether to invite to interview (for all courses), although this might be outweighed by very good performance on the LNAT. It's quite possible you wouldn't even be interviewed however, unless there are some extenuating circumstances or contextual factors at play (which your referee should note in their reference, and depending on the nature of the factors/circumstances it may be worth mentioning in your PS). I would suggest applying to Cambridge rather than Oxford, as they weigh GCSEs much less heavily compared to other aspects of your application.

Although I believe LSE also puts a fair amount of weight on GCSEs, although I think the PS is more important for them, and if you aren't also applying to Oxford with poorer GCSEs I think it's less of a gamble since it's just one option (rather than two or more) which rely on those. I am not too sure how UCL assesses law applications, if they weigh GCSEs heavily then I might suggest just picking one out of UCL and LSE along with Cambridge. For your other choices I don't think it will make as much of a difference.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you only got 6 IGCSEs. Best to apply once you have results - those Cs are going to hold you back and you have not a chance in hades for Oxbridge - competing against 12 A*.
jwmin1
Rep:
?
I've got 7, I just forgot to include another A for Global Perspectives.
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Have you only got 6 IGCSEs. Best to apply once you have results - those Cs are going to hold you back and you have not a chance in hades for Oxbridge - competing against 12 A*.
jwmin1
Rep:
?
Is that also the case for International GCSEs? Will they completely disregard my predicted grades because of my IGCSE grades? Although I got a C for both math and science, in IB, I have a 7 for both Math and Biology. Will that be an issue?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Oxford heavily emphasises GCSE grades in determining whether to invite to interview (for all courses), although this might be outweighed by very good performance on the LNAT. It's quite possible you wouldn't even be interviewed however, unless there are some extenuating circumstances or contextual factors at play (which your referee should note in their reference, and depending on the nature of the factors/circumstances it may be worth mentioning in your PS). I would suggest applying to Cambridge rather than Oxford, as they weigh GCSEs much less heavily compared to other aspects of your application.

Although I believe LSE also puts a fair amount of weight on GCSEs, although I think the PS is more important for them, and if you aren't also applying to Oxford with poorer GCSEs I think it's less of a gamble since it's just one option (rather than two or more) which rely on those. I am not too sure how UCL assesses law applications, if they weigh GCSEs heavily then I might suggest just picking one out of UCL and LSE along with Cambridge. For your other choices I don't think it will make as much of a difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby