A2 English literature comparison coursework - the bell jar

Watch
J.555
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In terms of mental illness and women what pre 1900 novel could i compare with 'The Bell Jar".
BogdanK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J.555)
In terms of mental illness and women what pre 1900 novel could i compare with 'The Bell Jar".
I think "Wuthering Heights" might be a pretty good pick for mental illness though I'm not sure how you could synthesise it effectively with something like "The Bell Jar". I suppose you could argue that in both cases a female character was sacrificed to good intentions by those who had power over her. In "Bell Jar" Esther relied on Doctor Gordon to help her get over her depression - this resulted in the deterioration of her condition as opposed to its improvement. In "Wuthering Heights", two men - Heathcliff and Edgar Linton - seemingly for the sake of Catherine's (the main character's) happiness attempt to undercut one another to win her love - she is driven insane by her feelings for both men and the inability to satisfy them in the context of a traditional marriage. Another comment for "Bell Jar" is that Esther is constantly presented with brilliant opportunities and prospects for the future by those who are interested in her well-being but in the end is torn apart by the people who try to push her own prospects.

I hope this was helpful

Also, a lot fo Dostoyevsky's works deal with mental illness in women - "The Idiot" for example.
J.555
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by BogdanK)
I think "Wuthering Heights" might be a pretty good pick for mental illness though I'm not sure how you could synthesise it effectively with something like "The Bell Jar". I suppose you could argue that in both cases a female character was sacrificed to good intentions by those who had power over her. In "Bell Jar" Esther relied on Doctor Gordon to help her get over her depression - this resulted in the deterioration of her condition as opposed to its improvement. In "Wuthering Heights", two men - Heathcliff and Edgar Linton - seemingly for the sake of Catherine's (the main character's) happiness attempt to undercut one another to win her love - she is driven insane by her feelings for both men and the inability to satisfy them in the context of a traditional marriage. Another comment for "Bell Jar" is that Esther is constantly presented with brilliant opportunities and prospects for the future by those who are interested in her well-being but in the end is torn apart by the people who try to push her own prospects.

I hope this was helpful

Also, a lot fo Dostoyevsky's works deal with mental illness in women - "The Idiot" for example.
Thank you! I appreciate your request and totally agree, i have read 'Wuthering Heights' and initially thought the books would be a great match but unfortunately because i've already studied it in school i wasn't allowed to pick it. However, i've found a book to compare with 'The Bell Jar', so all is good. But thank you for your input.
Last edited by J.555; 1 year ago
runnermxc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Yellow Wallpaper
J.555
Rep:
?
(Original post by runnermxc)
The Yellow Wallpaper
Thank you, i've decided to go with that book!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J.555)
Thank you, i've decided to go with that book!
Make sure to focus on the literary side of it. Thematic concerns like messages regarding mental health, although important, shouldn't be the primary focus of your essay. You would do well to focus on the literary devices etc.
J.555
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Make sure to focus on the literary side of it. Thematic concerns like messages regarding mental health, although important, shouldn't be the primary focus of your essay. You would do well to focus on the literary devices etc.
Thank you! I will try my best to focus on literary devices although it is one of my weakness recognising them. I hope through the coursework i will make it my strength to recognise them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads