Career Progression from Band 2 MLA in Histopathology Watch

ChloeM231
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm about to start a role with the NHS as a Band 2 MLA in Histopathology. I have a BSc in Psychology and an MSc in Translational Neuropathology (with a 20 week placement in a histopathology laboratory.

Just wondering what my career progression might be and how long this is likely to take? At the interview, the lab I will be working for said that they are definitely willing to train me up and would help me become BMS accredited in order to get a trainee BMS position.

However, I have no idea of the potential time frame of this (e.g. do you go straight from band 2 MLA to band 5 trainee BMS?).

Any advice would be appreciated!
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChloeM231)
I'm about to start a role with the NHS as a Band 2 MLA in Histopathology. I have a BSc in Psychology and an MSc in Translational Neuropathology (with a 20 week placement in a histopathology laboratory.

Just wondering what my career progression might be and how long this is likely to take? At the interview, the lab I will be working for said that they are definitely willing to train me up and would help me become BMS accredited in order to get a trainee BMS position.

However, I have no idea of the potential time frame of this (e.g. do you go straight from band 2 MLA to band 5 trainee BMS?).

Any advice would be appreciated!
Hey, sorry you haven't had an answer to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon

I'm afraid this isn't my area of expertise, but please do quote me if you've not had a response in a few days, and I'll see what I can do?
Jamesd37dhd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will need to take top up modules, which I think you can do online. You will need to get your degree assessed by IBMS to see which top up modules you will need, if they even allow a psychology degree that is. After this, you will need to do a registration portfolio (either by getting a trainee post or in your own time) and register with the HCPC, so you can get a band 5 roles. In terms of timeframe, your are looking at around 2 years minimum, but it does depend on you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%