What is that 'wired' feeling after long hours of playing video games? Watch

HarryOnTap
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone else feel that after a session? Let's say 6-7 hours of playing a video game.

Can't properly explain the feeling other than 'wired'. I'm sure those who play video games will understand what I mean. Sort of anxious after you stop playing and interact with other people. It's weird.

What sort of chemicals does your brain release?
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HarryOnTap)
Anyone else feel that after a session? Let's say 6-7 hours of playing a video game.

Can't properly explain the feeling other than 'wired'. I'm sure those who play video games will understand what I mean. Sort of anxious after you stop playing and interact with other people. It's weird.

I know what you mean, it's like you've just wasted hours upon end playing a game.
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 month ago
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. That sounds worrying.
MidgetFever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't say I've ever felt that tbh, I feel a lot more alert if I've been playing an FPS game or something. I'm guessing that isn't what you meant though.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wait so you get anxious once you stop and have to interact with people? Maybe you should interact with people more often because this kind of sounds unhealthy if it seriously effects your ability to communicate with others, maybe gaming releases dopamine?

Do you play 7 hours in a row without any rest?

velvethopes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to play MMOs and social games constantly all day, every day a few years back but yeah, I totally used to get that feeling. It really negatively affected me and I found the only way to feel better was completely remove myself from playing. It's probably just all the energy stored in your body that's not being used since you're sitting all day
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends what you're anxious about - not playing games or having to interact with people.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It isn't a wired feeling - it is your life slipping away from yo.u - wasted hours spent looking at an idiot game. Go and get fresh air and look at nature
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
It isn't a wired feeling - it is your life slipping away from yo.u - wasted hours spent looking at an idiot game. Go and get fresh air and look at nature
You have 3413 posts on this forum alone, take your own advice. :lol:

Spending leisure time doing something for leisure is a perfect use of time, whether that's playing a game, walking randomly and sniffing pollen, or stroking your bruised ego on a forum full of kids by lecturing them with your sage but in reality questionable advice!
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
You have 3413 posts on this forum alone, take your own advice. :lol:

Spending leisure time doing something for leisure is a perfect use of time, whether that's playing a game, walking randomly and sniffing pollen, or stroking your bruised ego on a forum full of kids by lecturing them with your sage but in reality questionable advice!
Yep 3.5k posts over 10 years. See other answers in This thread. I am not alone
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sweet success? I remember playing Witcher 3 for three straight weeks, more than ten hours a day. GLORIOUS.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yep 3.5k posts over 10 years. See other answers in This thread. I am not alone
Yup exactly. 3.5k posts, 10 years. Glasses houses, he without sin etc.

I'm in this thread, and you're the only one acting as if one lesiurely activity is a waste and the other is not. I think you're not getting it...
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ennui. Cabin fever.
username4355882
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
*weird
Spartanwolf223
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im not allowed over 2 hours of screen time a day :P
I hate that. Please let me pursue my interests
HarryOnTap
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedGiant)
I know what you mean, it's like you've just wasted hours upon end playing a game.
Hahaha yeah that too.
HarryOnTap
Rep:
?
Maybe it was the way I was describing it, yeah I suppose it is more alert
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I can't say I've ever felt that tbh, I feel a lot more alert if I've been playing an FPS game or something. I'm guessing that isn't what you meant though.
HarryOnTap
Rep:
?
I do, as well as cooking, cleaning, working, studying and plenty of other hobbies. Leisure time is leisure time.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Each to their own to be honest. People can choose to spend their free time how they want. (No I don't game) I actually prefer going to gigs in a muddy field and exercising in parks but whose to say my use of free time is better than playing games. Everyone has different preferences, it's part of human nature. I do admire software developers and game producers because of the technological advances and innovation they can bring and encourage which will become more and more prevalent in the modern age. My housemate who played video games for most of his life and his job is based on sitting on a computer developing software earns quite a bit more money than me so in some cases clearly they didn't waste their life away! Ironically he has more free time than me to enjoy the great outdoors due to the flexibility of the tech sector in comparison to other sectors.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 1 month ago
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by batter mix)
*weird
No. *wired
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (158)
13.28%
Excited (106)
8.91%
Worried (218)
18.32%
Terrified (278)
23.36%
Meh (94)
7.9%
Confused (32)
2.69%